Freecycle.org any others?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Nov 7, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

HEy all, I just wanted to throw out a big thank you to someone on the list (can't find the exact post) who turned me on to the freecycle.org site. It is MY kind of place! Thanks so much.

Do you know of any others?

2. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

I like freecycle.org too. We also have a Colorado barter group that sprung out of freecycle. Maybe there's one for your state too.

Peg

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The freecycle concept is great. I dont like the email delivery, it would be better suited for a dedicated web design to allow searching.

The biggest down fall to freecycle is all the "WANTED" adds that some moderators allow. They can often overwhelm the offers and then the list becomes useuless..

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Gary,

The same problem exists in my area. The mods even sent out a notice about how it turned into a wish list and apoligized for the inconvenience.

I have a neighbor about three blocks away that wants nearly everything I have to offer and she became a pest. She has lupus and doesn't work and I think she's sending her friend to pick up stuff so they can sell it. Not that I begrudge the woman making some money on the side but I don't think she should do it with my generosity. I'd prefer that someone that really wants it get it.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The list here has become a big want list, too. I've recently seen people wanting big screen TV's and golf carts!

Things that I've offered have elicited 50-60 replies!! Except for the last one, which I stated 'needs elbow grease'. Got exactly two replies, and the woman who collected the table was thrilled at the great shape it was in! And there were people on the list wanting tables...they didn't reply to me because they didn't want to do any work for it. And many are getting things to sell at the flea markets, so don't want to do work for those, either.

I got something off of Freecycle for the first time just yesterday! (First time!) I got Elephant ears, orange cannas, spider wort and pineapple sage! Whoo hoo!!

Meg :)

6. Fla Gal

After I posted several offers I posted a wanted for a pressure cooker and/or pressure canner. One very nice lady supplied me with both but at the same time she expressed an interest in four Tiara ware oval trays I'd offered. As a suprise I also took a nice large fluted topped Tiaraware bowl to her so she would know I wasn't gold digging. The waterbath canner meant a whole lot more to me than the bowl. :p

The old Burpee pressure canner, of the exploding type, I won't use but I got a water bath canner that was larger than the ruined one I had. She also gave me all the pint and quart jars, rings and lids she had. Good haul for both of us. :D

It would be nice to have a "trade-cycle list" in addition to a freecycle list.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Our freecycle group was going gang busters until an add ran in the regional paper than all heck broke loose. Let me look at today’s wants: Large air compressor, 16’ or bigger stock trailer, fine china, musical instruments, pipe organ … and the list goes on.

Since joining freecycle the big ticket items we have received are: 6x8 pickup bed trailer, piano, electronic keyboard and our pride and joy Fisher woodstove.

Given away: 75% Boer buck, machine lathe, complete set of 2003 medical text’s and free goat disbudding, castration, vaccination services, so we have no problems sleeping at night.

The moderator requires a 2:1 offer want ratio. And not something stupid like; offer: 2 match books, want: yacht.

Our group has actually been split into 3 smaller ones starting this Sunday. One of the reasons the national org got involved was one gal was grabbing just about every item available 24 hours a day then using the same screen name to sell those items on E-Bay … gawd I hate people!!

9. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thanks for the tip on freecycle.org. I signed up two days ago and immediately found a rabbit hutch. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. Unfortunately, the moderators do not allow postings for animals...perhaps this is a good idea.

Yeh, the 'wish list' thing is out of hand up here too. I consider it free entertainment with some of the request...boats, DVD players, washer / dryers. I don't mind helping out when I can, but some of these folks have a dozen ads...of course, they only want the stuff that is in great condition. I think I'll use Meg Z's suggestion and make sure include 'needs elbow grease' on anything I offer. Maybe this will weed out those only looking to make an easy buck.

10. blanknoone

blanknoone Member

I don't have experience with freecycle, but I can't help but wonder if it would work better if there were some sort of 'point system' to keep things in some sort of balance between offering and wants.

Something like an agreement between people you give an agreed number of 'points' to someone you get stuff from, and get an agreed number of 'points' to someone give stuff to. It could be flexible enough that you really are lending a helping hand, but mooches asking for everything and selling it would be driven out...or at least run out of points. But of course then it becomes a management problem keeping track...but then you could also sell 'points'.....

11. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I've just about given up on freecycle. While we don't have too much of a problem with "wanted" adds. I found the whole process of trying to give this stuff away very time intensive.

I've been able to find good homes for some odd type stuff but other stuff I wish I had just never bothered. Cost/benefit equation was not good. Yes, I understand that part of the process here is to help the environment etc. But that can only go so far.

Advertise a large item with a very specific description of condition, dimensions, weight etc. Specifically state in the add that a full sized, open bed pick-up will be needed to haul as a minimum. Also state that two people at a minimum will need to come out to help load.

The first two people that show up, are single people who show up in a Honda car, and a Volkswagen car. "wow, that's really big". Yeah, no kidding.

I'm on the digest version as the amount of email is overwhelming, and most times not value-added for me. The times there have been things I've been interested in, the item was literally taken within minutes of the offer posting. How do these folks have time to do this? They must literally sit in front of the computer almost all day long with how fast the stuff is claimed.

I've also found there are a lot of looky loos. Reply with "I am very interested, will come pick-up this afternoon. Thanks for using freecycle and helping to save the world"... yada, yada, yada. They come by and "oh that will really not work for us, thanks for using freecycle and helping to save the world".

We have had people agree to pick-up an item, settled on a time, I put the item in the driveway in preparation for pick-up. The people do a "drive-by inspection", decide they didn't like it and race off down the road hoping nobody saw them drive by. I have to follow up with an email the next day or two, only find out they are not interested any more.

I go to great lengths to insure my descriptions are highly accurate, and conservative on stating the condition of an item. I'm talking detailed descriptions of dimensions and such, sometimes I'll even post pictures on my website so they can look at it. First two emails I get contain the question, "so how big is it?", "is this item very big?".

I'm not bitter, really I'm not.;) Glad it works out for many of you. I think I'll go back to using the salvation army for this type of stuff.

Wayne

12. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I was really surprised the first time I listed an item on Freecycle. It was a big old upright piano that needed work on the keys and tuning. I had several inquiries right away and the first person who said she wanted it came when she said she would and got it. She emailed me the other day saying how much she loved it and how happy she was with the deal.

13. Fla Gal

Oh, how I'd love to have an upright grand piano. I grew up with one in my Grandmothers' house and was horrified on one family vacation to West Virginia (several years after Grandma's death) that the piano was gone. I asked my Aunt what happened to the piano and she said "Oh, I gave that old thing away". What a heartbreaker. :( :( :( :waa: :waa: :waa:

I've been wanting one since but haven't been lucky enough to run across one I can afford. I understand this womans gratefulness and applaud her for her "find", I'm so happy for her and it was a very nice gesture on her part to email you to let you know how happy she was.

I feel I haven't offered enough on freecycle.org to have anywhere near the brass to post a wanted message for an upright grand piano. Well.... maybe someday one will come my way. :worship:

14. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

I like freecycle, though around here it gets pretty darn busy, they probably need to separate it out (the county that is) I just offered something the other day & it was picked up promptly 2 hrs later. I know that the Wanted adds get a little out of hand, but I always scroll through them as i have found a number of things I had to give. We often don't think of all the stuff we keep in storage that do nothing but gather dust until you stumble upon a "want' add & suddenly remember you have that & haven't used it in years. I think they're definitely worth looking at.
    Also, some of those people do take the stuff to sell on ebay & the like, but I don't really care since I'm not about to go through all that nonsense for a few items, to me it's easier just to give it away.
    Though not my books! Those I will post on Amazon.com myself....my books are almost like kids (LOL, but amazon won't take the kids!!) :D

15. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I've been REALLY lucky with freecycle. I just discovered it in Feb. (courtesy of someone on this board). I've been given enough landscape brick to floor my greenhouse (the guy who gave them to me said everywhere wanted them, but nobody wanted to load them!) I had to apologize to him that I couldn't fit all of them in my jeep at once, because he wanted them out of his way --- and he said I was the only person who even bothered to show up--- so just come back for the rest!
    Also got 7 dozen canning jars and my favorite --- a reel mower!
    Fla. Gal --- if you want a piano, by all means ask for it! The lady who gave me the reel mower emailed me about 15 minutes after I asked for it! She said that it was in her way and she was tired of tripping over it, and she had tried to give it away but nobody wanted it because it needed some maintainence!
    I have actually seen some of the snotty rich people who live on my mail route put a piano out for the garbage men!
    I had a good bit of stuff that I would have been happy to give to someone that wanted it --- rather than haul 3 truckloads to Goodwill like I did last summer.

16. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Fla Gal do as ponyx... suggests and ask. The piano we got was listed as "one old piano, very heavy". What we got was a 1932 Baldwin upright grand misswing a few ivory pieces and needing a tuning. $65 for a computerized tuning, $50 for repairs and it plays perfectly.

17. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

One caution I'd have with Freecycle is that the group does seem to attract ... opportunists. I joined because I had a few things I want to give away but after watching and lurking for a bit, I decided I didn't want to send a blanket invitation out to my house. I was very concerned I'd invite someone out for free stuff & they'd take a look at what I've got and return later and help themselves to more "free" stuff that I had no intention of giving away.

Strikes me as a good way for a low life to scout your property out.

Leva

18. Fla Gal

One thing I've never done is go inside anyones house or had anyone come inside mine. I had the stuff ready to go and the houses I've been to have done the same. "DON"T" under any circumstances let anyone into you house... garage "maybe"... but "NEVER" your house. There are too many low lifes out there that want to scope out your place.

Take the stuff outside where they can't do any scoping. Unfortunately the good ones are suspected along with the bad. I try to be a gracious a giver and a gracious taker as well and not overstep my bounds. I never go beyond someones door if the knock gets no response. I'd rather leave a note or send an email and tell them I missed them. I just feel better doing it that way.

19. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Or you could arrange to 'rendevous' with them...by pretending that you're meeting on a corner or something & in reality you're outside your own house. That's what I did. Though I happen to live on the corner of 2 streets.