free water for plants?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lvshrs, May 27, 2006.

1. lvshrs

lvshrs Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

DH and I just rented a house that has an A/C condensation run-off pipe that runs out onto our back sidewalk and I was wondering if it would be safe to use on my potted plants? I experimented yesterday by putting a gallon bucket under it to see how much water was emptying onto the sidewalk and by the end of the day (from 6am till about 9pm) I had collected about SIX gallons! The water doesn't smell, looks very clean. So I figured that if I used that to water my plants and collected the rest in a larger container for other uses (handwatering the flowerbeds and maybe the lawns if it can figure out a way to rig up a hose...). Anyway if anyone has tried this or knows if the water has any bad stuff in it that should be avoided let me know. Thanks!

2. elle

elle Member

Hi, we have a central heating and air pump, the run off pipe leads to a small hole in our back yard to hide the hole my husband planted 2 climbing roses around it and they are now the largest rose bushes i have ever seen. So i don't think the water from yours will hurt your plants.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

yup, it's just distilled water, pulled out of the surrounding atmosphere, safe for plants.

4. lvshrs

lvshrs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! I just hate to think how much water is being wasted! Especially since we haven't had any rain for a month now and none in sight!

5. lvshrs

lvshrs Well-Known Member

Oh wait! I just checked the weatherbug and it says 20% chance of rain and the radar shows a storm headed this way..... :rolleyes: Well I won't hold my breath...It will probably evaporate before it hits the ground-we hit 96 degrees today...

6. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

During the last big drought we kept a bucket under the a/c condenser outflo and used it on the plants/lawn. Plus we would plug up the bath tub when we showered, scoop it out and dump that also on the lawn.

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Didn't I reply to this last night?
    I collect the water from the AC and use it on plants.

8. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

water conservation at its best!!!! Beautiful idea. The water is exactly like the dew on the ground in the morning. It is humidity that has condensed and is basically pure water. The only contaminants would be carbon dioxide from the air and possibly some copper from the condenser pipe.

Good idea!!! Thanks for posting.