Free TSP chunks and burger mix

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hears The Water, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey all... A local food pantry had a truckload of bags of TSP chunks and burger mix donated to them and they are needing to get rid of it. It cannot be sold, only given away and if anyone is intrested after reading further, you would need to keep this in mind. It would be a great addition to you preparedness pantry!

The Chunks are in 45# bags and are colored pink. There are no flavorings and they need to be soaked in a broth or ketsup water for flavor. They can be added to soups, stews, chili and casseroles. If you reconstitute them they actually have the mouth feel of meat and they absorb the flavor of whatever you are cooking. I have a book that tells how to even make stir fry with them, but I have not tried that yet. The man at the food pantry calls them "Dog food" and does not want to even try learn how to work with it and just wants to get rid of the bags.

The burger mix is in 22.5 # bags. It is this dried and powdered mix that you add water to, and let sit. Then you shape them into patties and cook them. I have fried them and the folks at the pantry add bbq sauce to the mix and grill them. I also think they would be wonderful as Salsberry Steak and Swiss Steak. I think it could be used like crumbled hamburger in casseroles too. The mix has some chunks of shortening in there so that when you cook the patties, it really looks like hamburger. If you have ever had cheap hamburgers from Aldi's or the cheap t.v. dinners with Salsberry steak you have probably eaten this. Pretty tasty. Devon cooks it with onions and it is good. One bag of this will fit perfectly into a 5 gallon bucket for storage.

The down side to this is that they are soy so if you have soy allergies, this won't help you. They are also most likely made from gmo soybeans. I see the ADM symbol on the bags. I have tried to research the company that makes them both and cannot find too much out on them, but I didn't put a ton of effort into it either. I am in SW MO near the town of Joplin and if there is any interest PM me and we can make arrangements. My only request is that you promise to not sell this, just to use it yourself or to give to others. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Once I know how many of y'all (if any) want some I would still need to clear this with the food pantry, but they do know I am asking around. Let me know....
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

2. h_oder

h_oder Active Member

I would be interested - maybe in one of each? Let me know when you have more info & we can work things out. I've not used either product, but would be willing to try & like you said - good thing to add to preps.

Thanks

Heather

3. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be interested. We are not allergic to soy and it would be a good addition to my food storage for those just in case times. Let us know....

4. Hears The Water

Since you both live so far away from me, you might want to look into shipping methods from Joplin MO to where you are and PM me with the details and let me know if you are still interested. I am not sure if these bags can be mailed or shipped UPS or what. I talked to the lady that had helped me get to know the food pantry people and she was excited to know that there may be someone out there that wants this food. I think it will be ok with the powers that be. So you do some detctive work on your end and I am pretty sure that they will be happy to let me have what ever I need and I am willing to take the bags to UPS or the Post Office as long as you can pay for shipping. Still interested?

God bless you and yours
    Debbie

5. jadedhkr

jadedhkr Well-Known Member

I am interested in the tvp. It would cost approx. $20 to ship here and I'm more than happy to pay that.

Thanks, Jenni

6. Hears The Water

Would any of you interested in this please PM me to let me know what you want and how many, I don't want to make this into a topic more suited to the barter board. I put this up here because I knew that a lot of folks came in here and I wanted to reach as many folks as possible. Thanks y'all!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie