Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is driving me insane. My child is driving me insane.

If you look for me and can't find me, I will be in the crawl space under the stairs. Just follow the "leave me alone, leave me alone" chants.

I finally yelled at Duke for the first time since his surgery today. I cannot move without tripping over him, and he is driving the kid nuts by stepping on her drawings, nudging her for attention, etc. Then I let him out, he goes outside and barks. Then I bring him in, he is all over me. I'd be worried as his behavior mirrors what was happening before he got sick, but he is wagging his tail and not whining. My daughter was using watercolors and the dog just stepped in the bowl of water and proceeded to place giant doofus-dog prints all over her paper.

So now the kid can't go two minutes without calling my name (which I have changed and refuse to tell her) and climbing on my lap, closing out the computer screen, yelling "tag you're it..." I ask for a few minutes of peace and quiet. Not gonna happen.

I'm going out and taking my chances with the coyotes.

vent over.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Frame the dog-print paintings and keep saying, "This, too, shall pass. This, too, shall pass". That phrase got me through a lot of times with 4 kids (and all their friends), dogs, cats, etc. LOL.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hmmm, lets put ours together and make it a package deal!!

If you call now, you get the 3 yr old, AND not ONLY the dog, BUT a 2yr old, and a 5 yr old AND A LIMITED TIME OFFER of another 3yr old!!!!!

Call now! Supplies limited!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I will toss in a cranky depressed ol man, if he doesnt get to start classes soon and have something to do with his time....well we will be splittin the sheets as my dad always called splittin up! Hes drivin me nutso!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
So now the kid can't go two minutes without calling my name (which I have changed and refuse to tell her)QUOTE]

LOL..This is what I would tell my children when they were little. They'd get so confused because they didn't know what to call me. LOL I had three children in four years. Can you imagine how many millions of times I heard "MOMMY"?

BTW, I am a sucker...I'll take the girl but you keep the dog. How's that. LOL

SGG-Jan

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I would give anything to have a day with my little ones again. They are all grown up and gone. And I would give anything to spend another day with my dogs who have long been gone, their deaths leaving a hole in my life. :(

Really, my dear, try and enjoy your life, and count your blessings. A healthy child, a loving dog, what more could anyone want!

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know your sadness about the dogs who have passed, each one leaves a unique hole in your heart. (hugs)

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
What you have to do is go somewhere private and look for the button.

I swear I (and every mom) have a button on my bottom and as soon as that button is pressed because I have been so foolish as to sit, something must need my URGENT attention. There is another one in my hands because as soon as they are full....

Just keep breathing. That's the trick. Something I do to preserve my sanity is to make a list of all the words I never though would form a sentence, much less come from my mouth.
Wanna hear my favorite from when DD was not-quite-three?

"Get the plunger away from that cat, I am NOT going to tell you again!!!"
Naturally I spoke these words while I was on the phone. I'm sure the nice lady from Progressive Insurance tells the story to this day.

See, it's a fun game in hindsight.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Sounds like NAP TIME!!! Put all kids under the age of 13 to bed (threats are good for that 7-13 age range). Lock the dog outside. Make a cup of tea/coffee find a seed catalog and look at it from front to back (or some similar enjoyable passtime), taking about 15-20 minutes. Then sneak past kids rooms and allow the quiet ones out. Loud one remain in place till they master quiet.

I find that once the kids are "stored away" that often the dog can come back in and settles right down and will snuggle on the sofa with me while I "re-group". Giving us both what we need.

My kids both started getting this "quite lesson" when they were about 3. It still works at ages 6 and 9. When I can't get a moments peace, they sit on their beds till they "master quiet" again.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I always figured that's why there is Calgon and wine. ok...no wine til the kids are in bed...but a nice glass or two while soaking in a hot tubbie can sure help a mom relax and unwind. having hubby hand you a cheese plate sure is a plus. lol

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
How about a trade?

I'll take the kiddo and the dog if you take my husband. You'll be begging for the kid and dog back within 72 hours.

Nikki

can he feed himself? have difficulty finding his way home? Can his arms bend in a 45 degree angle to take out the trash? I will consider your trade..and in return offer a College aged DD who is 19.....already knows EVERYTHING..can sniff out money within 50 miles..and comes complete with change of clothes.
Disclaimer...she just announced she is pregnant

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I was awakened at 3:43 am by the sound of breaking glass. I ran to the kitchen, nearly bowled over by 10 running cats, to find my favorite pitcher, given to me for Christmas by my youngest when she was 6 (now 17), in peices on the floor. I'll trade you 10 bad cats, for 1 goofy dog. :flame:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Ok, I've been missing having little people in the house and am willing to work out some deals! ; )

Whoever is offering husbands, this does NOT extend to them...

ROFLOL... sure enough, I wish I were close enough to give you a break... I could use a couple or three little people to make some Christmas cookies with...

sigh...

dawn, who thinks making the cookies with the 15, 19 and 23 year olds is fun, but not as MUCH fun as a three year old, with a dog underfoot...

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
can he feed himself? have difficulty finding his way home? Can his arms bend in a 45 degree angle to take out the trash? I will consider your trade..and in return offer a College aged DD who is 19.....already knows EVERYTHING..can sniff out money within 50 miles..and comes complete with change of clothes.
Disclaimer...she just announced she is pregnant
Did I mention my 17 year old stepdaughter made me a grandma this year? Oh, and did I mention she and her baby are visiting for a few years...I mean, days...sigh. The baby, God bless her little heart, is a colicky baby with lots 'o tears and allergies to everything...poor little thing. I have had to do massive de-con to my house because I am afraid she'll have a reaction to dustbunnies, dog hair, etc. (The "maid" has been sick...I've had a kicking head cold). Only to find out...Stepdaughter gave baby a bath tonight and the baby had a reaction to my well water. I give up...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts