Free tires??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hollym, Feb 24, 2005.

1. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if places like Discount Tire will give the old ones that they are tossing to you if you go by and ask them? I want a bunch to do various things with, and if I wait to keep finding them by the side of the road, I'm not gonna get there, lol.

hollym

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I know that we have to pay for every tire that we have picked up by the disposal service, so I would give any of your local tire stores a call and just ask them. They may be worried about liability, though. Be sure to tell them that you are just wanting to plant tomatoes in them or to use them for craft purposes.

3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I went to the local tire place and asked them for anything they were going to throw out. They practically fell all over themselves helping me load them in the truck! They even pointed out where they toss them out back so I can stop by anytime and get some. They have to pay to get rid of them, so any you are willing to take saves them money.

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Cool! Thanks! I want to plant potatoes in them. I also made a really pretty planting tier with them, believe it or not? Just stacked them up in sort of a pyramid, filled them with dirt and plants and surrounded them with rocks, of which I may never have a shortage! It was just a whim sort of a project, and it is really a pretty spot in my yard now.

Also am figuring out how to use them to set posts into, I can NOT dig on my limestone bluff, there is so little dirt, and what there is is peppered with more huge rocks. I broke a fiberglass handled shovel on one the other day, I didn't even know that was possible, or I wouldn't have forced it like I did, sigh, I really liked that shovel! ANYWAY, you can dig a hole if you can get out a big rock, but not with the sort of uniformity that a fence requires. The local rec center has tired filled with cement and posts for volleyball nets, I wondered why not use it for temporary fence? That way you could also move it around as you wanted to. It's to keep deer out, so really just needs to be tall and visual.

hollym

5. sdt

sdt Member

I found some interesting little tires at a lawnmower/4 wheeler sales and repair shop.They are great for a one plant pot.They make interesting hanging baskets too!!!

Sheryl

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Sheryl, what a neat idea!

hollym

7. sdt

sdt Member

oops,I forgot to add that they were free also,just for the asking.I get my bigger tires at a local tire repair shop.They kiss the ground if you tell them you'll take the used tires!!!You should see what can be done with tractor/road grader tires!!
    Sheryl

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Hoo, now you have my fantasies working overtime!!! Thank you, Sheryl, I mainly wanted to know if it was workable before I took the weekend time and borrowed my dad's truck to come back to town, it's a 40 mile trip for me, and one I make M-F for work, so I don't do it on the weekends if it's not worthwhile! Nor do I gas up a pickup unless I know it's worthwhile!

hollym

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we are looking at cuting tires into 3 and stacking them around a central post to make a strawberrie tower. deffinately worth the effort!

10. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

I take old tires and cut the center out to the tread and use it to plant all my plants in the garden Just lay them on the ground and mulch to the top of them to keep weeds down

Bigdog

11. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

But don't tires have poisons in them that can leach out and contaminate vegetables growing in them?

12. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, and some places they are considered hazardous waste because of this. Then you would have to get a hazardous waste permit to use or have them.

Jim

13. fordson major

farmers have used tires to hold down palstic on silage piles for decades have not shown any release of toxins into this acidic feed . there is also rubber feed pails and tire waterers also playground equipment. while tires have toxins onboard they do not seem to migrate. many items in nature contain toxins but they are relatively inert.oak bark contains tanin that is readily released ,pine contains a toxic sap all depends on how long it takes to migrate.we ourselves have used tires in the garden for three decades and counting with no ill affects.

14. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I was thinking about a strawberry tower too! I'd be interested in what you mean by cutting them in thirds?

hollym

15. fordson major

Strawberry tower is high on the list of new projects . If you get a recipro saw with a metal cutting blade(for the steel belts)and slice the tires into three parts ,then use a hole saw to make a hope in each slice for a center pole or post. Saw a system that used plastic pots but was pricey!Need to work on a drip irrigation system for it yet .Will try and get some pics posted when i get the first tower done . Thinking six high which is two tires.

16. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Thanks,! I THINK I get it, you stagger the slices around the pole, right? I have a reciprocating saw, and those 'Ugli-blades', love that name!

Hopefully we'll get to see the pictures soon!

hollym

17. fordson major

thats the idea!! drill a hole in the center witha hole saw size of the pipe that you are using to suport the tower and up she goes !! have been fighting snow the last few days but hope soon to get a go on it!