Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

· Registered
20,520 Posts
Oh my gosh, we must be barbarians here in the South. I see a girl that I haven't seen in a while and she gets a hug. Often men get a "bro hug". Waiters and waitresses will come by and put a hand on our shoulder and ask if everything is good.

If I see someone from Canada, I'll have to make sure I maintain 10' and never touch them. I don't want one of us to end up in the hospital. Or worse.

· Registered
4,931 Posts
If that works for you, that's great. I'm no where near that aggressive and never have been. Perhaps we work in different enviroments ......

I'm also unsure about the belief that all Canadians are the same.......
Yes, you and I work in entirely different environments and it's true I am a lot more aggressive and reflexive / reactive than the majority of women in my environment and even more than many men. I don't like and don't react well to people coming up to me from behind and touching me so approach from the front is necessary to get my attention.

As to believing all Canadians are the same, I don't believe that. Canadians are all composed of many different cultures within the overall Canadian culture with many different social and individual belief systems and traditions so it's not possible for all to be exactly the same. However, I do believe Canadians in general want their personal body space respected and are more reserved and cautious about allowing strangers to touch them or take liberties with their bodies compared to some people in other countries.

· Registered
4,931 Posts
Oh my gosh, we must be barbarians here in the South. I see a girl that I haven't seen in a while and she gets a hug. Often men get a "bro hug". Waiters and waitresses will come by and put a hand on our shoulder and ask if everything is good.

If I see someone from Canada, I'll have to make sure I maintain 10' and never touch them. I don't want one of us to end up in the hospital. Or worse.
Are you confusing family, friends and acquaintances with strangers?

6 feet is generally considered respectful enough of personal space, and most people I know do practise social distancing since covid came. So if they're practising social distancing here they're likely practising it elsewhere. If you are one of those southern touchy-feely hands all over everyone types of people with strangers that you meet don't be offended if Canadian strangers you meet on the street will want to keep you at arms length at least.

· Registered
20,520 Posts
Are you confusing friends and acquaintances with strangers?

6 feet is generally considered respectful enough of personal space, and most people I know do practise social distancing since covid came. So if they're practising social distancing here they're likely practising it elsewhere. If you are one of those southern touchy-feely hands all over everyone types of people with strangers that you meet don't be offended if Canadian strangers you meet on the street will want to keep you at arms length at least.

You make it sound like we pat people down. It's more like a hand on the shoulder or a forearm. And yes, I have hugged strangers before. That's after I have been introduced. But hey, once they have been introduced, they aren't strangers are they?

· Registered
4,931 Posts
You make it sound like we pat people down. It's more like a hand on the shoulder or a forearm. And yes, I have hugged strangers before. That's after I have been introduced. But hey, once they have been introduced, they aren't strangers are they?
I don't expect that to mean that you feel you are free to take physical liberties with other peoples' bodies.

· Registered
20,520 Posts
I don't expect that to mean that you feel you are free to take physical liberties with other peoples' bodies.

I should hope not. We're not in the habit of grabbing our friends in private areas. Even if they are topless.

Unless it's Mardi gras. But that's Louisiana and they have different rules there.

· Registered
20,520 Posts
I should hope not. We're not in the habit of grabbing our friends in private areas. Even if they are topless.

Unless it's Mardi gras. But that's Louisiana and they have different rules there.
I should add: different rules for that week. They don't go around and do that normally there.

· Registered
20,520 Posts
Mardi Gras is TAME; try Southern Decadence.
Went to one Mardi Gras but that was in Galveston 2000. 80000 people crammed into 4 blocks was not my cup of tea.

I almost got into 3 fights just going back to my truck. Someone grabbed another guys girl and they look for the closest guy to pick a fight with. I saw one girl that did not get touched by anyone claim she was grabbed. I guess she wanted her boyfriend in jail or worse.

That southern decadence sounds like a lot of bail money needs to be raised a lot of it's worse than Mardi gras.

· Registered
7,162 Posts
Can you speak up? We're having difficulty hearing you from back there in 1953.
The movie referenced is from 1990.

But...the fact stated is a timeless, basic biological fact. Those who disagree have an inalienable right to be as wrong as they wish to be.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts