Free seeds!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jnap31, Nov 13, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I will not be posting much over the next two weeks as i am on an ancient slow keyboard/computer and no phones for two weeks. working at a remote satt/radio relay place on 12 hour shifts. when i get back to bondsteel i will mail these no guareentee they will not confiscate them as i mailed some the other day and the guy held them up to the light curiously. i will send them to whoever wants them though. if you get them and you want to share a few seeds with me pm me for my address at that time though dont feel you have to send any. these are some green honey dew i picked up in macedonia the guy said they were ananas and also some blue pumpkin from kosovo these were 5lb or so and pancake shaped however he also had more round ones like the typical shape he said his neighbor grew and they crossed probably so no telling what shape you will get. i will mail around 10 of the honey dew and 6 of the pumpkin to all who want them. my postage is free from here so dont worry about anything, remember if they get thru it wil be awhile as i will not be back to bondsteel for two weeks at which time i will send them.
    looking forward to your pms. i will probably not respond to all the pms as this computer is slow and i am working 12 hour shifts but i will send the seeds to the address you provide. jesse

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Cool----I'm sending you my address.

3. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    Thanks for sharing, I'm sending you my addy, too.

4. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing too, I am also pm'ing you my address :)

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd like to try some of the pumpkin seeds. I don't think the honey dew would do very well here :Bawling: Thanks!

6. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

I would love to, but I need short season varieties. Thanks for trying.

7. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

Jnap, if you have any seeds left, and when you have the time, I'd love some of both types! I live in Louisiana, and have had really good luck with seeds from other places. An example - big white pumkins from Turkey! GREAT eating! Some had a blue cast to the skin, very eery and beautiful. Tasted better than USA pumkin to me; I figure it is a winter squash of some sort. If you want some of these, pls. let me know! And thank you!

8. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

These seeds sound like they would be so interesting to try. Would love some of each. Thanks, Rita

9. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Wow - how nice of you! If you still have some available I would like to try both types as well. Whenever you get the time...so no rush. :)

10. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

This is what life is all about...I would love some pumpkin seeds. Blessings to you and yours...Joan

11. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

I also would love some of both seeds if you still have some. You are so sweet offering these seeds. Let me know by email and I'll send my address. Thanks so much.

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Almost everything is illegal now.
    I am sorry no more seeds are available I have over 30 folks I will be mailing to and I am out.Out of time now will write more later. You all are welcome.PMs are full i will clean them out tomorrow am when i have time.
    jesse

13. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm curious about the growing season for these. Hot and dry, cool and damp? I wonder if there's a particular area that they will do best in.

14. IowaLez

I am familiar with this subject, and I do some importing. I have gotten seeds from other countries through US Customs and the US Mail, legally. Some countries, like Australia are very restrictive on bringing in seeds, but not the US. If the seeds come from a country with similar agricultural development, and the seeds are clearly labeled with their Latin and English names, and are clean and free of dirt or debris they are usually okay. Some restrictions are in place if the seeds come from a country with a pest or disease problem that can be spread by seed; sometimes corn falls into this category. The Carribean is not considered to be advanced agriculturally like say, England or France. In the case of your cruise to the Bahamas, you could bring disease into Florida that could affect the citrus crop. My penpal in Australia has sent seeds to me before and they were declared to Customs and inspected and marked. Some things are considered noxious weeds and are restricted. It also depends on the Customs Inspector's mood that day. ON a good day s/he may be more lenient in what is let through. It all depends...

15. IowaLez

Just rechecked with USDA- APHIS and there is a whole new policy in place to import small lots of seeds legally with a 3-yr import permit. I'm going to get one! Haven't looked at the details, yet, like cost of it, but it will allow you to get seeds from many other countries.

here's the link to the new web page: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/Q37/smalllotsseed.html

16. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

The above is a good topic for the freedom/self reliance forum I want to comment on it but refrain since this is not the place. thanks lezieinCA for looking into it for us. i cant help! its interesting how they have intentionally introduced numerous invasive and destructive weeds and critters not to mention imports bringing in dutch elm and chestnut blight but yet now they want to crack down on freely bringing in garden seeds. give me a break from the craziness please!

17. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Just wanted to say again no more seeds are available now, i would have gotten more had i realized their would be such an interest. Hope you all get your seeds, should be about a month i suppose since i have two weeks here in this remote site before i can send them though i am doing all the envelopes up now. Glad i could share with you all your all welcome.

18. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Illegal agricultural traffic is how we wound up with fire ants in this country. The laws may be inconvenient but there are worse consequences to violating them.

Get a permit if you want to import anything.

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Since your so knowledgeble how did we wind up with gypsy moths,zebra mussells, purple loosestrife, dutch elm disease, chestnut blight,kudzu,eucalyptus, and all those weeds that are the scourge of places like montana? Places like Australia introduced rabbits and foxes, fiji has introduced toads everyplace, they brought them in to control mosquitos and then they brought in mongoose to control the toads and now they have extinct and endangered endemic birds and toads and mongoose everywhere on their two main islands. Much of the same in the states where well meaning officials brought in varieties of exotic species that have since become invasive and are taking over at the expense of native species Hawaii is a great example but I dont have time to go their.Vegetable seeds are not the same thing I assure you mine dont have ants on them and they will not grow and reproduce with out people nurturing them tenderly. edit out

20. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Well-Known Member

Mine got through. Got my seeds in the mail today. Thanks a bunch.