Free Seeds Are Back, IV

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Paquebot, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

THIS OFFER WILL RUN THROUGH 15 APRIL, 2005! IF YOU HAVEN'T STARTED YOUR TOMATO SEEDS BY THEN, WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!

For the fourth year in a row, you members get a chance to take advantage of my foolish generosity. I've now been handed more trial packets of seeds for distribution. (Sorry, no more of those lovely beets!) Instead, you will all have a chance to find new ways to kill other things.

For eating, I've got Jung's Tricolor Blend bush bean mix and Little Gem Cos lettuce. Beans are a mix of purple, green, and yellow and about 50 per packet. The lettuce is an old heirloom baby romaine which will form small heads.

For flowers, I've got Tiger Eyes Marigold and Rose Queen Cleome/Spider Plant. Also have a few Ensign Mix Convolvulus/bush morning glory.

Then there are my own tomatoes which proved so popular last year. Unlike 2004 when you had little choice as to which varieties to receive, there are 20 varieties to select from. Little guys to huge monster slicers and almost every color. Pick any 3 from the list, not including Wisconsin 55 which will be included in every pack. If you received Wisconsin 55 seed last year and still have some leftover, you can pick a fourth one from the list and I won't send more of them. All are indeterminate varieties which should produce to frost.

Alicante, vigorous red canner which loves a trellis

Aunt Ruby's German Green, large sweet beefsteak type

Aztec, good prolific medium red canner

Black Cherry, sweet and resists cracking, maroon color

Bradley, medium pinkish-red slicer

Hugh's Yellow, large light yellow slicer-canner, likes the South

Kellogg's Breakfast, huge golden slicer, best of that color

McClintock, medium sweet red slicer

Mother Russia, early pinkish-red canner-juicer

Neves Azorean Red, large but late red beefsteak slicer

Novogogoshary, red stuffer that looks exactly like a red pepper

Pink Ponderosa, pink slicer-juicer, been around for over 100 years

Red Pear, oldest known variety first grown by Thomas Jefferson

Riesentraube, bush type red cherry tomato that seldom cracks

Santa, very prolific red grape that is the nationwide rage

Tidwell German, monster pink slicer to 2# or more with few seeds

Tigerella, striped 2" fruit with real tomato taste

Uncle Steve's Italian Plum, perfect paste tomato

Wisconsin 55, best all-purpose slicer-canner-juicer ever created!

So, how do you get what's offered? Contact me with your desires and a mailing address. E-mail preferred over PM since the latter fills up in a hurry and notification is not working for some reason.

And what do I expect in return? By agreement with Jung's Seed Co., I can only distribute their trial packets at no cost. This project means that a padded envelope must be used and Marisal has generously donated 250 of those. Postage to send them out is going to be .60 to US addresses. "Tips" will be readily accepted but not mandatory. Just knowing that the seeds will be put to good use will be sufficient. If you insist on sending something for me to grow, also be certain to send the ground to grow it in as I'm fully booked through 2010!

Finally, Canadian members are not excluded from this offer. My beloved Wisconsin 55 found it's way back to many places on the Canadian Prairie last year with nothing but good results reported.

Enjoy shopping!

Martin

Here's my e-mail address: paquebot@merr.com

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Tried to send you an e-mail but a notice came up saying you don't wish to receive e-mails through this board.......

PQ

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Martin,
    Such a fun selection of seed you have this year.
    I love the spider flowers and Tigereye Marigolds--and the beans with color variety are great.

AND, TOMATOES! OH MY!

I've sent you a PM 'cause you haven't yet given us an email address and the one on your PROFILE won't co-operate.

You are a blessing to this forum!

Thank you----tallpines

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Please do provide an email address! I'm sending you a PM instead. Sorry.

5. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

Paquebot

I planted the seeds you sent last year!!

Like you said the beets were awesome. I froze @ 35 packages of them and still enjoying them.

The tomatoes last year got eaten by mice in my porch before I could plant them :(

I did plant the flowers around the foundation of my house. :) Such pretty flowers they were.

I've been watching the forum anticipating your post. I was hoping you would have free seeds again. Its a lot of fun to grow them and even more I love to share my produce with family and friends.

This year the beets, besides what I froze and ate, went to 4 families, the tomatoes from other sources went to more than 10 families and the rest of my garden has supplied many tasty meals for others. Your free seeds makes it even easier to share, its a pass it on kind of thing.

YIPPPIIIEEEE, I can hardly wait for the growing season here. I've added nearly double the space with hay covered ground so I can grow squashes etc and hope to convert to row ground in a year.

Thanks for you offerings. :D

How do you want us to get in touch with you?

6. Paquebot

Evilbunny, since the forum e-mail and notification system seems to be messed up, and limited number of messages allowed in the PM feature, you'll find my e-mail address at the bottom of the original post. See? You were so excited about the list of seeds that you didn't read everything!

By the way, should I also send one of my cats to take care of the mice? That wouldn't work as you'd then have to come up with another excuse for killing my "children"!

Martin

7. Ravenlost

OOPS...I didn't see it either...to occupied with all the wonderful seeds you listed. Do I need to send an email since I've already sent a PM?

8. Paquebot

Ravenlost, I got you OK via PM. When I realized that I wasn't the only one with e-mail and notification problems, I went back and added my e-mail address to the original post. Your packet is scheduled to go out Tuesday, 18 Jan. They'd better go out then since I've already postmarked everything with that date!

Martin

9. Ravenlost

WooHoo...thank you so much!

10. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Paquebot - You have mail :D .
    Kathy

11. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

[​IMG] Thanks, your Awsome!!

12. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Oh good, I got the year right this time!

Thanks, I'm very excited. You are very nice to do this.

Sylvia

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Just wanted to say black cherries taste awesome, although they did not produce as well as the snow white's (a yellow cherry) for me.

I managed not to kill my wisconsin's last year long enough to save some seeds. :D

14. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for doing this for all us gardeners at Homesteading Today! :D
    I'm planning my first "real" veggie garden (expecting food rather than just hobby)
    and am excited about trying some of the seeds you are offering.
    Thanks again~
    Steph

15. Paquebot

Update. As the store owner always said in 'Are You Being Served?', "You are all doing very well!" First big wave is over and tongue stuck to my upper plate from licking stamps. Happy to see many familiar names for the second or third time. Can't locate my original Countryside Magazine Forum offer but betting that one or two will show up for the fourth time. (One of them was already automatic to receive my offer without asking.) 41 requests at the moment. (Whoops! #42 in as I type this!) Ran low on beans right in the middle and had to run to Jung's for more when temps were -4F! A few have left a lot up to me to decide what to send. Hopefully I've done a good job of reading your minds and you won't be disappointed. I won't run out of anything but sending convolvulus only upon request. If I do run out of a tomato variety, it will simply disappear from an edited original post. So, everything well under control in the garden.

Martin

16. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

MArtin,

Thanks so much for providing this service to all of us!

Nikki

17. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Wow Martin :eek: ,
    Running out in -4* :eek: just for little old us. Geez your job doesn't pay enough for that :no: ! You have a big heart! :worship: .
    I hope you got my request. I didnt receive a reply so hopefully I didnt wind up in the scrap pile...lol. I just figured you have enough to do without replying to everyone.

Happy growing everyone!

Kathy

18. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Thank you Martin for making this offer. It's much appreciated. I've emailed you.

19. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

20. Paquebot

Kathy, you worry too much! Don't you know that gardeners are supposed to be the most patient people in the world? I take a nap after supper and wake up to 7 more HT requests plus several from Garden Web! (55 total at the moment for here.)

Surrounded by just what I'm involved with, I'd think twice before ever complaining about a mixup from a real company. I've been invited to watch Jung's in action during the peak season as it must be insane when there are thousands of items to pick from. Here, it's just a little maddening!

Martin