Free Seeds Are Back, Act VI!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Paquebot, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that this is the 6th year of offering seeds on this forum. For those not familiar, it began with whatever Jung's had for trial packets for a given year plus a few tomatoes. It's sort of escalated to where it's almost become a big tomato seed offer with the Jung's seed used as an excuse for not placing a price on anything. SOP has been to inform me of your choices, supply an address to send them to, and the recipient may decide to send something or not. Those that do send something usually make up for those who don't. Besides, it's a hobby and my way of sharing my garden with my neighbors. Can't help it that some of my neighbors may be 2,000 miles away. Some "donations" over the years have been as follows: homemade soap, tea, honey, maple syrup, pickled beets, sauerkraut, garden gloves, kitchen shears, jerky, pecans, pecan pie, salsa, jelly, and lots of other good things.

The last two years, we had beans along with the tomatoes. Last year, ran out and had to buy beans and make up my own trial packets since everyone wanted beans. That's normal since everyone loves beans. For those who got the tri-color mix the past 2 years, I know that you saved seeds and don't need repeats. That gave me an idea this year to grow a lot of different beans to include with my tomato offer in case Jung's didn't have a real super vegetable for their centennial year. For the first time that I can remember, it's a tomato. If it only happens once a century, I'll forgive them!

And now the seeds. Everyone will get these two either for themselves or to share with another gardener. The Jung's free packets are Wayahead tomato and Prairie Sun Rudbeckia. The Wayahead was introduced by Jung's 85 years ago, in 1921. It's early, prolific, and determinate. The Rudbeckia is sort of a green-eyed Susan.

(I do have some Blue Dress annual flax and Jung's Caesar Salad Blend packets from last year but you must specifically request them.)

Beans, choice of 2 varieties, at least 25 per packet unless noted:

Black Tepary, Bush/Dry, 50 per packet
    Black Turtle, Bush/Dry, 50 per packet
    Black Eye Cowpea, Bush/Dry
    Brown Dutch, Bush/Dry
    Red Mexican, Bush/Dry
    Red Spanish, Bush'Dry

Kentucky Wonder 191, Pole/Snap
    Purple Queen, Bush/Snap
    Pencil Pod Wax, Bush/Snap
    Tennessee Greasy Grit, Pole/Snap
    "Uncle Steve's" Italian, Pole/Snap/Pinto Type
    Williams River, Pole/Snap

Tomatoes, choice or 4 varieties, 20+ per packet. You'll be able to find descriptions of most varieties somewhere on the Internet. Some are the first time ever offered and may only be mentioned on a French site.

Utility type canner-juicer-slicer:

Abraham Lincoln
    Amish Yellow
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Bradley
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple
    Cosmonaut Volkov
    Croatian Heart
    German Pink
    Giant Syrian
    Goose Creek
    Green Giant
    John Baer
    Harvard Square
    Kristina Vatcheva
    Leatha's Italian
    Lescana Romanian Beef
    Lescana Romanian Heart
    Lithuanian
    Marianna's Conflict
    Marianna's Peace
    Medford
    Nyagous, Red
    Oregon Spring
    Ugly Ripe
    West Virginia 63
    Wisconsin 55
    Wisconsin 55 Gold
    Yoder's German Yellow

Small/Cherry/Salad:

Black Cherry
    Gardener's Delight
    Green Grape
    Green Zebra
    Lemon Drop
    Moby Grape
    Pink Grape
    Red Pear
    Tigerella
    Tommy Toes, Red
    Tommy Toes, Yellow
    Yellow Pear

Paste/Sauce:

Greenbush Italian
    Juliet F4
    Mr. Fumo
    Paquebot Roma
    Perito Italian
    Roman Candle
    Segler
    Sheyenne

Misc.:
    Balkon Star, 2' high for containers/hanging baskets
    Garden Peach, Red, fuzzy
    Garden Peach, Yellow, fuzzy
    Novogogoshary, stuffer
    Striped Cavern, stuffer
    Voyage, cluster of fruit in one

Do not ask if I have any of a certain variety. If I run out of something, I will simply edit it out. Offer will be good until it's too late to start tomatoes and expect a harvest.

Contact me by e-mail only, PM fills up too quickly and I have no record. If you are not a registered HT member, I probably won't hold that against you! I keep a record only according to last name and state, not HT name. You'll have my mailing address when you receive the seeds. With bubble envelope, postage, and seed packaging, I'll have about a buck invested in each. Anything more than that will be appreciated to cover those who can't donate something. Last year, about 2 out of 5 sent something. I can live with that!

Happy gardening!

Martin

paquebot@merr.com

There is now evidence that some messages haven't gotten through the first time. I shall try to acknowledge receipt of each request within a reasonable period of time. If there is no word from me after 12 hours, send the message again.

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the generous offer again Martin! I've sent you an email.

3. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

This man is such a treasure! Thank you, Martin, for your kind generosity, as well as the leadership you provide here on the board. We appreciate you so very much!

4. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I was one who was "carried" by the rest last year....so thanks all, and I will help with someone else's garden this year!

Thanks Martin!

5. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks! What a Treasure: the seeds & folks like you.

6. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I am sending you an email. Thanks for your generosity!

7. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Thank you so much! I have been waiting for this since you teased me with the "all in good time" comment about the Paquebot Roma tomato seeds in an earlier thread. :D

And I can't find anything, anywhere online about the Brown Dutch seeds...... can you direct me where to look?

Sending you an email....... thank you!!!!

Kitty

8. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Martin,

You are a kind and generous soul. Thank you!

Nikki

9. Paquebot

Now you know where to find Paquebot Roma! It's a determinate solid Roma strictly for salad or sauce, few seeds. Given a good start in rich soil, it may become 3' high and 3' wide, depending upon how many laterals it creates right away. It's also apt to start out with 3 cotyledons rather than 2. Almost half of the requests today are asking for that one so I know that we've got some sauce-makers here.

Brown Dutch lately has been available mainly from Vermont Bean. Many other companies stopped selling it because of something in the genes which sometimes causes poor germination rate. (I had to replant perhaps 10% and that was from my own fresh seed.) Best I can tell you to do with those from me is plant them this year and save as much seed as possible for planting next year. Then you can enjoy them baked or in soups. Took 2 years for me to enjoy any and they were worth waiting for.

Now back to counting beans. Every request is "custom" since none of my stuff is pre-packaged!

Martin

10. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Sent you an email also....wasn't sure what varieties, I will have to leave that up to you.

Very generous, indeed!

11. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

I've pm'd you. Am also one of the "carried ones" will help others this year also.
    Thanks
    Helen

12. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

I looked on Vermont Bean's website, and it said Brown Dutch was "no longer available for 2006"... don't know if they are not up to date on their website, or if they are no longer offering it. My husband is a real bean fan, so I will be anxious for him to be able to try this one!!

I knew where I could get Paquebot Roma (because I read/commented in the other thread concerning them and WI55) ..... I just didn't know when you were going to stop teasing and let us know if there were any seeds available. I am so glad there are seeds available this year!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Kitty

13. Paquebot

Brown Dutch is becoming scarcer than I thought. It's been a sell-out every year at Vermont Bean. You and I had better protect and horde as many as possible! Found a site, Catalpa Tree Seed Co., that has them. 20 for $19.99, 5 for only $6.99. That beans, not packets! I only grew out 70 this year but they returned close to 3 quarts of dry beans. As scarce as they apparently are, I may end up going through 5 gallons of mixed beans to pick out every one. Too expensive to eat! A pity since it really is a super soup bean.

With dry beans, always be patient. Grow the first year only to get enough to sample and obtain seed to plant the second year. Bean trades are usually 25. That won't feed you much the first year. But the returns off perhaps only 5 good plants will give you plenty for the following year. So far, there's a few others who know the Brown Dutch and the scarcity of it as the first pint of seed is not nearly as full as it was this morning. Hopefully they are all thinking ahead to the 2008 harvest.

As for teasing you about availability of some tomato varieties, I wasn't 100% certain if I wanted to do it for another year since each time it's bigger. But then, there are so many who genuinely appreciate what I have to offer and that makes it all worthwhile.

Martin

14. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Thankyou for sharing Martin! We sure have alot of neat people on this forum!!!

15. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I sent you an email, Martin. THANKS SO MUCH!

Pony!

16. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Argh! If I had known about the Brown Dutch I would have tried it. Oh well. There is always next year.

(Mutters to myself .. I will not be greedy, I will NOT be greedy!)

Nikki

17. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

my goodness! What a generous offer! I'll e-mail you .... thank you :).

Woodsmokeinherhair!

18. Paquebot

Problems! Always some snags! I don't have any requests from IL, OK, or El Paso, TX. Looks like I'll have to go back and respond to every one that's come through. If you haven't heard from me by midnight, send it again.

===============================================

I've now responded to everyone at least once. If you haven't heard from me, I haven't heard from you!

Martin

19. elvira

elvira Member

Hi Martin,
    Sent another message, as mine must not have gotten thru, either. Jan

20. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Just tried sending again since I had no reply.