Free seeds........a tip

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

See Paquebot has free seeds again....everyone,try the beets! They are the best we've grown in 30+ years of gardening. We plant them in shallow flats in the greenhouse just like any other plant...then plant them out....no thinning, no horrendous weed problem in the tiny seedlings and you can space them for optimal growth...give it a try!!! DEE

2. CountryBumpkinLisa

CountryBumpkinLisa Well-Known Member

Mutti I agree! They were wonderful. I already have mine . I got them in the mail yestarday! Can't wait to eat them again!

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

oh yes! This will be my first time trying them. I can't wait! So I can grow under lights then set out without tramatizing the roots?
    Nothing beats good beets! :dance:

Kathy

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There were several things which really impressed me about Red Cloud beets last year. One was their ability to withstand drought and the other was that they never got woody. Since they were not my main crop beets, they were not given any special treatment or watering. When pulled, many had a tap root almost a foot long as they went deep looking for water. Foliage shrunk back on many of them but resumed growing as soon as there was some rain. During the whole time, they never once became woody as would be expected under those conditions. I'll be growing them again and testing them beside an old variety, Egyptian Crosby. There are still about 25-30 packets of the Red Cloud on hand for those who would like to try them.

Martin