Free rent on Prince George property (BC)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Judith, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a 40 acre chunk in Prince George BC that could be used by someone. Not expecting anything in return but it would be a great place for someone to temporarily hang their hat. Bring your yurt, mobile, camper? Great opportunity for someone wanting to try living off the land and not actually have to make the commitment of purchasing it. Salmon river is close enough for fishing and all your water needs.
    Any ideas let me know,
    Judith

2. Ever thought about setting up a primitive camping area? low investment

3. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

That is a very nice of you Judith to offer your land. :)

4. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Well, I won't be in the position to use it for another couple years and if someone could benefit and perhaps get themselves out of a hole or??? That would make it all worthwhile to me. It is absolutely gorgeous in that area and someone would have a lovely haven for a few years. There is a fair bit of work in that area now so I am hoping that someone will take advantage of it.
    Judith

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Judith,

Would you mind very much buying some land nearer to Ohio, so I could take advantage of your extremely generous offer? :D I hope someone else in need can make use of the property. You are an angel for making such an offer.

Nomad

6. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

WOW...what a wonderful gift you are offering. I expect someone will jump at the chance for such an unique experience.

7. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Wow Judith, what a great offer! Too bad there wasn't more people like you!

8. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Judith, please check out your legal liability and insurance situation before you finalise follow though on this.

What happens if your "tenants" get injured? If they do damage. If they're not tenants but guests and they do damage? Say start a fire that gets out of control? Even just enough to burn some of your boundary fences? Set up a speed lab on the property and get caught. Disappear (or even just go on vacation) and someone ELSE sets up a speed lab on your place. Can your land be confiscated if some law enforcement authority decides it's been involved in crime (even if you didn't know)?

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

You are a brave and wonderful woman and I am sure you will be blessed in return for the generousity you are showing!

10. StinkerBell

StinkerBell Well-Known Member

I would also suggest that you collect at 1.00 per month for this land.
    You findyourself in court later down the road with a he said she said and a sqwatter claiming rights to your land.

11. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Thank all of you for your ideas and words of warning. I can easily waive all responsibility with a simple contract and the correct insurance. I will be screening everyone who is interested and there is no such thing as "Squatters Rights" in BC Anyone on your property is trespassing unless they have your consent. Ironically I have had no interest in the property. Lots of people have e-mailed just to say hi but no takers as of yet. Thought i would have a zillion to choose from. I'll just keep praying on it and hope that the right person will get in contact with me. :)

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

If you're really serious, put an ad in the Caretaker's Gazette. You'll have plenty to choose from as soon as it runs.

13. If you're really serious, put an ad in the Caretaker's Gazette. You'll have plenty to choose from as soon as it runs. -------> I agree, just go to www.caretaker.org to find some great caretakers!

14. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't know about BC but Alberta does not allow squatters rights, they would be considered guests, tenants/occupants or trespassers. Usually, it's cheaper for us to have a tenant than a vacant site, as far as insurance is concerned. They look at the potential for vandalism and such.