Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a question, but I just wanted to say that we went to our local IGA this morning and all their leftover pumpkins were FREE. I asked the produce manager if he would care if we picked them all up for livestock feed. He said he'd almost pay me to take them.
We ended up with a pickup load, plus. The hogs, chickens, turkeys and cows, to a lesser extent, have been eating pumpkins today.

A week ago I let our local pumpkin patch know that we were interested in buying their pumpkins by the truck load for feed if they were interested.

Free pumpkins are even better!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Free is good. I can't help but think about peter peter pumpkin eater, had a wife but couldn't keep her, put her in a pumpkin shell and there he kept her very well. I guess this is the season for murder, and chopping up someone to fit into a pumpkin shell. The things we teach are kids. So beware if your family eats too many pumpkins. :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since your local IGA was so generous, keep patronizing that store. While they were happy to see the punkins gone, I'm sure that they took a hefty loss on them. Your local small business can use all the help they can get.
We do. We try to do most of our shopping at the local groceries and a couple of Amish stores nearby. Walmart when I have to.
I do think the stores are able to write off outdated and unsold items on their taxes so may not take that big of a loss. Our local Kroger gives all their outdated produce/bread/etc to our smallish local zoo, which makes me shop from them also (that and their awesome fresh-made sushi!)

·
Registered
287 Posts
One of our patients went home right before Halloween and left his pumpkin-- housekeeping was going to throw it away & I said no I'll take it home to feed the chickens --- I was happy with 1 free pumpkin let alone a truck load-- good score!

·
Registered
6 Posts
BlackFeather is right about the seeds. I'm not sure about the quantity of them, but I let all my critters (goats, pigs, chickens, cats, dogs), any that WILL, eat the pumpkins. The seeds are awesome wormers for animals!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you make your own pumpkin pie filling you will never go back. You don't need pie pumpkins, just about any will work. This is a good time to pickup free pumpkins, we can the free pumpkins, roast the seeds and feed the leftovers to the chickens. With a post on the local swap shop board we picked up 12 pumpkins last year for free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Free pumpkins is awesome! I have discovered, however, that most pumpkins grown in our area are pumpkins crossed with gourds, and gourds are toxic, at least to humans, I don't know about critters. Growers are crossing the pumpkins with gourds for the unique shapes and to create a pumpkin that is hard shelled that will last longer. They do not taste good at all, they are hard to skin/carve/hollow, and the seeds are bitter. Not good eats. :yuck:

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Also, we were at the library yesterday and I saw they had the pumpkins they'd decorated with stacked in a corner. I asked for them. My DH, he just sighed. He can't take me anywhere! I got them though. :) Only bad thing is I was tossing them out of the truck and an idiot chicken ran out and got whacked. May have to kill it now.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I took my daughters jack o lantern, as well as a few more pumpkins back to the chickens Monday.
Wish I could post pics, I got a good one of a chicken inside of the jack o lantern. It was about 28 inches tall, about 24 inches wide. Before carving, it weighed close to 100 pounds.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info. I heard about the worming properties associated with the seeds but completely forgot about it. The animals have thoroughly enjoyed them.
Crazyfarm, one of my turkeys nearly committed suicide by the same method.
My Great Pyr female has a pumpkin too. I didn't smash hers so she ate a hole in and carries it around by the edge of the hole and guards it from her brother. Goofy dogs.

·
Premium Member
15,960 Posts
Are pie pumpkins sweet?

·
Premium Member
15,960 Posts
Well I should probably just grow them instead of squash next year.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
On one very short street in our town, I counted 38 pumpkins, most of them not carved, today. Some house have 5 or more sitting out.

Most will keep those as decorations until Thanksgiving, but it sure makes you wonder about how many people would just give them to you if you knocked on the door.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not as good as free, but I checked with our local pumpkin patch to see if they'd sell any of their leftovers. We got a little over a ton for $30/ton! Seems like pretty cheap feed/treats for all the pigs, cows and poultry.

I bet there's lots of good food that gets plowed into the fields when the season is over with. It's not a waste but it's sure a shame that the produce isn't feeding someone. I once saw some women in the South gleaning a sweet potato field. All we have around here, besides pumpkins is "squirrel corn" and not much of that with the newer harvesting practices.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts