Free Plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Loriann1971, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

they are free for $6.95?

3. Loriann1971

LOL...well that is shipping...but that is a good price for trees and some of those shrubs.

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I have seen that ad before, but never done it. Has anyone done anything with that company before? Deb

5. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Well, lets see, 6.95 per package of 2 trees. They won't ship in anything but 2 trees. That means your paying around 3.50 a tree in which you can buy 10 redbuds for 20 bucks from the arbor day society including the shipping.

Shipping on 2 trees is less than a buck, including the packaging, so their racking up 6 bucks per shipment. Not a bad profit! Heck i can buy bare root 16-18" trees from my supplier and get them for .50 cents a piece and make some real cash like this!

BTW nurseries do NOT throw trees away! They cost too much to do so. Trees that are bare root like this particular site sells are ordered from the growers to sell. IF a nursery has bare root stock, it is planted in containers and grown over a time period of 7 years and are NOT dug up unless they get orders for them. Then they are dug up and balled and burlaped and shipped to the customer.
    The rest remain in the ground until someone orders them and the bigger they get the more money they get!

IMO its a scam, and one that many people will buy into. IF you want quality bare root stock, just like their selling, and are willing to spend 200 bucks, you can order from the growers and get more for your money and nicer stock!

6. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

That's a thought, Skruzich. It's just the first yucky wintery day we have had here. I have spring fever already, and got temporarily excited. Thank you. Deb

7. skruzich

I really don't want to poo poo the idea but Since i buy trees for .50 a piece, It just smells like a conjob using disabled folks as a marketing tool! Since i am 100% disabled, I find that very rotten.

8. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Is that like through your state extension service, might I ask? I had lived in SD all my life until this summer. They changed the rules on the ordering of ext. trees/bushes. Years back, it used to be a person could order just a few of every variety, mix and match, but then they changed it to where there was a certain minimum of each variety, like a mininum of 25 of each variety. Well, sometimes I was renovating an entire shelterbelt, othertimes not. Just curious. Thank you. Usually, it's just a pastime, I propagate or dig up and transplant my own wild seedlings. Seldom do I ever purchase a tree or bush, but I sure might need to, listening to this howling icy wind right now. Deb

9. skruzich

If you want great prices for trees and shrubs, and are willing to spend a minimum of 200 bucks, this is the place to get your stuff.

http://www.lawyernursery.com/

10. Loriann1971

I don't think it is a con job though, because it was Kim Comando's cool site of the day and she really checks out everything that she recommends.

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Some organizations glean trees and plants, and then have folks who are developmentally disabled package them at a profit.

So, if it's the same place, that would not be a con job at all, just a way to provide work for people who would otherwise not have employment.

Pony!

12. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

www.alcasoft.com/bostonmountain this site has incredibly large healthy plants as cheap as you'll find in the USA. Grapes blueberries red, yellow, purple raspberries, gooseberries, currants, and elderberries. check em out.

13. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

14. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Most states have a forestry department and grow seedlings to sell to the public. Usually the trees are better suited for local conditions than if they were coming from across the country. They usually have minimums, butare relatively inexpensive.

15. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve. :goodjob:

With a name like LawyerNursury, they have got to be good. :)

In your experience what is the best size to order?