Free Pig? No Thanks.........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by A'sta at Hofstead, Dec 20, 2006.

1. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Sunday we took a drive over to Maine and bought 5 piglets. We are planning to mark-up and sell three locally to recoup the money spent. The woman who watches my grandson (home daycare) has a lot of land and a barn, and a big fenced in area for her dog, no livestock though. I told her we were getting piglets and she said that is something they might want to do. We usually get her a gift cert. for $40.00 to a local restaurant for Christmas, but things are a bit tight right now with two mortgages (sale of our mobile home fell through.)
    I just called and spoke with her husband who had the day off and offered him a Christmas pig. He politely declined. What is up with people? They could fill thier freezer with the cost of feed and processing! It isn't like a huge amount of work for goodness sakes. Makes me wonder..... maybe a McDonald's Gift Certificate this year?

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Someone gave me 2 free pigs this summer. They will be in the freezer in February. I can't wait. I never turn down free food. Even if it is still on the hoof!

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

It is work....

If you offered to feed it and care for it and slaughter it and prepackege it THEN they might accept. :rolleyes:

4. A'sta at Hofstead

Ya think? Another "friend" offered to pay for half a pig and some feed in return for half the meat, he has yet to come by with the payment. (we would have bought one less if he hadn't offered to pitch in) Oh well, they probably will get some meat anyway, we are generous to a fault.

5. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Sadly,yes.

People are lazy.

Myself included....:D

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

"I just called and spoke with her husband who had the day off and offered him a Christmas pig."

Should have offered him 2 pigs. One pig gets lonely and goes on hunger strikes. Always raise 2.

7. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

You did say he declined politely. Perhaps they are like me. I really want pigs but would have declined the offer too - we don't have the cross fencing done and we don't have the money to get them up right now. Also I wouldn't want just one pig, buying another one just isn't possible right now. I would hate that I missed the opportunity and would love that you made the offer, but I wouldn't be able to accept a free pig right now.

8. A'sta at Hofstead

Thanks for the info- This is a first for us, but I know a couple of people who have raised just one, but that makes sense. We will be keeping two regardless.

9. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I would have taken it! :)

Maybe they didn't have the means to raise one during the winter months? Just a guess. :shrug:

10. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are wise, not lazy. In theory, I would love to raise a pig or 2. I already have plenty to take up my time, though, and wouldn't want the added stress of another animal to care for right now. I'd say No Thank You, too.

edited for typelexia

11. Aohtee

Aohtee Well-Known Member

There"s a big step between thinking about raising an animal and actually having the time and resources to do it. If they have no animals now, they would probably need to build an enclosure to house the animal. They need to buy feed and store it. They need to be able to provide vet care.

She maybe the homesteader and he may not.

If money is tight for you, the same may be true for them.

And he did refuse politely. Why take it personally?

12. A'sta at Hofstead

Very wise words. They are great people and I can understand. He works a lot and she always has three little boys to care for. Now if their daughter wasn't away at college most of the time..... she is going to UNH to be a vet and is horse/animal crazy, she would probably love it!

13. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

With no animals to tie them down now, they can take off for a week or weekend without a worry. With that first animal, comes being home every morning and night, going outside in all kinds of weather, making special arrangements anytime you go away overnight, ETC. ETC.
    The market price on a 300 lb. hog right now is not much, if any, more than the cost of feed to raise one. Much better to buy and slaughter a 300 pounder, than tie yourself down for 6 months. I would have declined, too, if I had no other farm animals.

14. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe he was worried the wife and kids would name it "Mr. Oinky", start feeding it Oreo's three times a day, scratching behind it's ears, decide they couldn't live without their beloved pet...

15. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Lots to look at---do they have a freezer? Do they have a way to haul it to the abattoir? Do they know the care and feeding, the worming, the shots, the delousing treatments, etc? Do they have someone to care for the animal if they are away for a weekend or few days? Do they have a rodent free way to store feed?

There are many reasons for turning down something free no matter how good your intentions are, which yours were.

16. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

This a wise way to look at things Iddee! Or it may be they don't like that particular homeraised pork. My neighbors are wonderful kind people who raise all of their own meat. Steers, pigs etc. They were kind enough to let me have a nice ham and some chops from their last pigs. Never again! Maybe it was the way the pigs are fed(?) but that stuff did not look good and didn't taste good either.

They are well experienced...been doing this for 50 years, but that type of pork is not my thing. I was raised on a tiny little ranch and we raised our own meats too, but nothing we raised ever tasted like that. Ours was grain fed... the neighbors use mostly old sweet stuff, bread donuts and veggies from the markets etc, Just personal likes/dislikes?... and what a person is used to? Don't know. Nice gesture to make though and I still feel grateful to them for being so kind. :1pig:

LQ

17. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I wouldn't accept a single piglet in December. It's more work than it would be worth to me. If it were spring I'd have invited you over to deliver the pig and enjoyed a pot of coffee and a snack while you were here. You made a very nice gesture the right way. You called to ask instead of showing up on their doorstep with the piglet in arms.

18. A'sta at Hofstead

Oh yeah, they would have loved me!

19. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree...my full grown pigs were lucky that it was warm this Fall...and they had alot of pack to burrow in...they went Dec.2 which was late enough.

Maybe offer a few chickens? They are very easy to care for :shrug: and more immediate "donation" that the daycare kids could learn from and enjoy and eat.

20. A'sta at Hofstead

They don't want chickens which I really cannot understand, I can't believe more people don't keep chickens??? We have 40, 25 of which are only 6 weeks old and we would share- Oh well.