Free Peak Oil Book

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freeholder, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/downloads.html

This URL will take you to a site where you can read, or print, for free, a copy of a brand-new book on Peak Oil (go to the bottom of the page). It will only be available for a few more weeks, so if you want to read it (please do -- I think this is going to be THE issue of the next few decades) better do it soon.

Kathleen in Oregon

2. cuphalffull

cuphalffull Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

I've heard some of this info elsewhere, but this got me to sit up and take notice. Will have to push a little harder on my schedule to get out of the city!

3. Freeholder

bump to make sure people get a chance to see it

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I'm about half way thru it -- it's a good book, pulls no punches and covers all the so-called alternatives that aren't gonna be nearly good enough.

There's also a good, new video out on Peak OIl called The End of Suburbia -- Oil Depletion and The Collapse of the American Dream"

It's available for sale on the net.

This is a subject the politicians won't touch.

Happy SUVing everyone.

5. Freeholder

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Talk about scary!
    I bought property in January and found this group. Since then I have been obsessed with getting out of the city and building my property into a homestead. In the process, I called the state electrical inspector with questions about hooking up the electrical on the property. I asked if I could put up solar panels and hook them into the system. He said it wasn't a good idea because the systems are too expensive and short lived. He suggested a gasoline or diesel generator. At the time I thought he was pretty short sighted. Now I'm seeing that I was pretty naive. It seems even the solar and wind systems will rely on oil to be produced. I better get out of town quicker than I thought.

7. madmarchie

madmarchie Active Member

C'mon people, check out this link. There have been more views on the "mouse problem" topic than on this one....<rolleyes>

8. cuphalffull

cuphalffull Well-Known Member

9. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

Another great reason to be a homesteader!!!
    Don't read this if your already depressed!!!

10. Freeholder

I know it's depressing, but it's far better to know the worst and at least be able to make some effort to be prepared for it. This group of all groups has more of the skills and tools that will be needed to survive in the years to come, that's why I thought it would be good to let you all know about this book.

Kathleen

11. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Depressed?
    I'm more motivated than ever.

12. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

This is really important to know. I think that it will be far more serious sooner because of the effect on our water supply. We may ride a bike or walk and do without a lot of stuff for a while, but the water supply is dwindling fast and add the effect of an oil shortage and you have a huge problem.

In 1998, Clinton signed an United Nations resolution that supports worldwide equalization of water usage. The US currently gets water from Canada and Mexico and the average person in this country uses a little over 1900 acre feet of water per person. Australia comes in second and uses a little over 1200. People in Europe a little over 500-800. China uses a little over 300. You can't grow people or food without water. The average person can only live for a few days without water.

So, when looking for your land, make sure it has an adequate source of water from a natural spring.

13. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Regarding water, rainwater collection can be enough for household, animals, gardening, etc., at least in Wis/Minn. Solar/wind generated electricity, and living so you can walk or bicycle if necessary to places you need to go is also nice, if you can manage it. Of course, electricity generated at your homestead is going to be more expensive than the cheap stuff in town, but that only forces a family to conserve the energy that they use.

Jim

14. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

We are out of oil! We can conserve even faster than before, increase efficiency, heat with wood, use solar, etc. grow our own food.

However, it's kind of late to be doing all this. Because we need oil to become more efficient, and we don't have any.

If we all woke up now, then there might be a slim chance for survival and continued growth. However, that isn't happening right now. Maybe with books and thinking like this there will be an individual and worldwide awakening.

ZENU © is a technology term I have created. It means zero energy net use. ZENU © is what we must do now. It means a ZENU © practitioner or Devotee will use no more energy in their life, house, car, business, or what and where ever, than they generate or create. Can we do that, right now?

Alex