Free Pasture

Discussion in 'Goats' started by james dilley, Oct 19, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I was offered A free lease on A 10 acre pasture that is fenced and cross fenced. Its just A mile from my house.It has A lot of brush and mesquite trees And theres even free water to the pasture for stock. I was thinking of waiting till Dec. then stock it. I know I am putting meat goats on it But ? what would be a decent number to mange and have A hands on type management ?? There will be A few sheep on it too. Whats your thoughts???

2. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

James,
    I have 20 goats on a 10 acre pasture here in Alabama. Its a free range type deal, and I think with this style, its about all it can handle. They've been on there for 3 years

3. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

contact your ext office and they will give you the 'generic' number of how many goats per acre the local land can support. If you are aiming for sustainable, stick with that number. If you are interested in feeding hay, grain, etc etc you could probably do more. Around here, in pasture land, the # is 5 per acre. We can support more in woods due to brush load.

attra.org has some great articles too!

good luck!

Andrea
    www.faintinggoat.net
    A Rare Breed, Indeed! web design available - two openings for 4th quarter, email me for details.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

James, I'm guessing the 10 acres is very overgrown from lack of mowing. I personally would throw every animal available into the lease. Have them knock back the growth quickly and then adjust their numbers accordingly. I'm guessing you have year round growing season in Texas so making adjustments should be easy. Of course I haven't seen the property, but 3 goats per acre seems appropriate....Tennessee John

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

You will have to be careful having sheep and goats on the same pasture as goats have different mineral needs than sheep. Goat mineral has too much copper for sheep, and sheep mineral will cause problems in your goats because of to little copper. Copper is very important in goats for worm resistance, breeding, and kidding well, and simply overall health. Don't know how you'll work that......anything that says "sheep and goat" will work for the sheep, but will not work for goats in the long run.

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I am sosososososo jealous! I wish I had that opportunity. Are you going to run livestock protection dogs with your goats?

7. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you do rotational grazing on this acreage and separate the sheep from the goats? Then you could keep the right kind of minerals on hand for each species, and as they don't eat all the same plants, you could have the sheep in, then the goats, or vice versa. I'd also suggest using one small area of the pasture as your worming area. Run them in, worm them, give them a few days to pass the worms, then send them out to the next paddock to graze. Keeps more of your worm load in one area, and less out in the fields. JMHO. :)

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The property is fenced and cross fenced. I can seperate them no problem there..I just need to wait till Dec. and I get my ducks in A row as to the animals. I have A line on A pure bred /Full blooded Boer buck. from A local breeder. I figure that might be A good place for the buck..

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I contacted a lady that owns the property behind us, she has 5 acres and I have never seen anyone or thing there. She said to go right ahead and fence in the property and let my horses and goats graze on it. All she wanted, was to make sure that the fence would come down when she asked us to take it down. She said it wouldn't be for at least 5 years. :dance: We were so happy, and that was SO nice of her. She told me I was doing HER a favor. Yea right, if only she knew. But because we had a really bad drought at the first part of summer, everyone around was asked to mow the fields where it was so dry and waiting for a fire to happen.