Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy's going for BBQ if nobody wants him. He's not tame and would not make a good pet, so I'm offering him free -- everyone who wants a Nigerian wants a pet. This is not a "pet" type goat.

Loudly spotted with black and brown spots. Decent comformation. Mom's a very good mother with a good udder (around a quart a day) who typically has twins and trips, and dad's got a very nice disposition. Those are the good points.

Problems? He has horns -- I had pneumonia when he was born and couldn't even get out of bed.

Dam raised, and he's real flighty. See above about pneumonia. Not enough socialization. His father is almost excessively friendly, and all of his siblings (I have two half sisters out of his dam and a full sister) are very friendly.

(His father's a lap goat. He's the easiest goat I have to handle, and I'm including my very-much-handled pack wethers in that. The only problem I have with his father is tripping over him.)

No papers. Not eligible for registration. His dam was from a dispersal sale with no papers included. No CL/CAE testing but I've never seen any signs of it in my herd. If you want to pay for the testing, I'll hold him.

I'm located in Arizona. I can deliver him in Phoenix or Casa Grande, or to Payson area.

I figure someone may want to breed mini-goats. He'd cross nice on an alpine. If nobody wants him, I'm knocking on my next door neighbor's door and offering him a goat for Christmas. They like goat meat. *shrug*

-- Leva

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Leva,I am sure you have a reason,but why don't you simply slaughter him for your table ? If he is a non -registrable ,flighty buckling it sounds like he may in fact be ripe for the knife. If he has been dam raised on mothers milk or just recently weaned and plump,he should produce a fine carcass. If he were here (east coast) he would most certainly at some point find himself bled,dressed,and hanging in the cooler ready for one of our many upcoming holiday parties. Humane slaughter just may be the best option for this buckling.Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't like goat meat!

Slaughter's on the agenda -- I have neighbors who are Mexican and have no problems with eating goat -- but I wanted to offer him around first. Nobody wants to buy him even for butcher. However, with the popularity of minis, I thought somebody might want him for crossing on bigger goats. He's healthy and nicely put together.

*shrug* If nobody's interested, I'll knock on the neighbor's door this weekend, and if they're not interested, haul him off to auction. (He only weighs about thirty pounds and is very dairy, so they'll be lucky to get one meal out of him.)

-- Leva

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I'd take him for the table if you were closer. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts