Free Mobil Home

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmmaid, Sep 12, 2006.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

JUST posted on the local freecycle 14x60 mobil home, good condition...ANYONE know Ken NC phone #...the # to call is 570 967 2609...Joan It is in Pa.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Hmmm....wonder how far that is from Ken,pm angie,she has his phone number and might be helpful here.

BooBoo

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Good 12 hour drive not counting pit stops for gas and food, etc. Maybe we could all pitch in for gas etc. Wonder what it would take to tow it? Does it still have running gear? Tires? Wheels? Hitch?

BUT a couple of things to consider -- I'm not sure that size mobile is legal to be towed on the roads in NY any longer -- would depend on the age. I know because I had a 12 x 60 and by the time I got it paid off, I couldn't move it anywhere -- illegal to be towed on the road. Might take a flatbed of some sort -- or tractor trailer big enough to put the thing in?!

The other thing is -- does their county/town/village/state allow mobiles of that size to be transported (and what about all the states in between?) there, and do they allow mobiles that size and age to be set up and lived in there?

Farmmaid what a great idea! It sure would be a stupendously wonderful thing if all that could be worked out to everyone's advantage!

With crossed fingers and prayers!

MaryNY

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I know it would cost 1500 to move my mobile home about 10 or 12 miles... so if not enough money for current mobile home, I don't know how they'd do this.

But I am seeing if I still have Kenneth's phone number, not finding it so far.

Angie

5. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

You would need a professional transporter mobile home hauler to even hook up to it. The cost from NY to NC would be outrageous.
    He would be better off looking into the IWANNA (local trade paper) they have several mobile homes in there from 500.00 to 1500.00 range.
    http://www.greenvilleiwanna.com/ you have to subscribe to this online source but hard copy papers are available all over his area at grocery and convenience stores for a buck.
    Once his home is removed it wouldn't be to difficult to reset another.

6. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Not only that taterspa but it might not pass NC state requirements. Each state is different. I know that you can't pull a alabama trailer or a tennessee trailer into the state of georgia. They won't allow it or approve it. It has to be built to the mobile home standards georgia has put into place. Plus georgia just enacted laws preventing moving of mobile homes over 10 years old. IF you move it off the property, it goes to the junkyard.

7. mightybooboo

Another option are RVs,they are always being given away and can tow with a tow truck 50 miles or so for a reasonable price,or a trailer better still,those freebies are pretty common.

BooBoo

8. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

That's probably true, many of the counties around here are heavily restricted as well. Many also have the 10 year or newer only and relocating tin roof homes new or not are restricted in many counties.
    There are plenty of cheap to free homes right here in NC though. Best bet would be to find one here.

9. mightybooboo

true,single wides cant move in our tri county area too.

BooBoo

10. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

It cost us I think $3000 to move our "free" mobile home, including the trip permits, and set up.

11. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Farmmaid - Clean out your PM box, it's full!

MaryNY

12. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

I agree, I owned a mibile home transport and set up business for years.

Its expensive to move and set up. But good thought .

13. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

I,m in northern BC canada and there are several free mobiles here BUT..no one for 100 miles who is lisenced to haul them.
    Gord in BC

14. texican

texican Well-Known Member

You mean your supposed to have "permits" and "inspections" and whatnots?

Folks around here hook em up to big tractors and move em down the road all the time... a free trailer ain't too free if you end up paying some yahoo to move it... usually there's 'flagging' vehicles, the po' folks pulling their junkers ahead of the trailer with all of their junk piled on...lettin folks know hicks are in travellin mode...

Usually everyone keeps note of where the folks is movin from and to, to wonder if they've hit the lottery, and bad neighbors is movin... or whether they've lost the lottery, and bad neighbors is a'movin in......