Free Miniature PB pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by BamaNana, Dec 30, 2004.

1. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi!

My DH and I are in need of some help. Last week a miniature Pot Bellied momma and her 4 babies (we think they're about 3 months old) adopted us. No one has responded to any of our efforts to find their owner, so we think that they were turned loose to fend for themselves :no:
    We can not afford to keep all 5, so if anyone who lives in the Central Alabama area would like one or more of them for free, please PM me.

Thanks!
    Debbie

2. BamaNana

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'm full up, no room for any more critters. i told my daughter to lock me up if i bring home anything else. i love those pb pigs tho.:) already got two, and that's quite enough. some folks on here eat them, and they really make better livestock than pets. i know of a rescue group in middle TN that might take them if you are desperate. they do ok in the wild, especially in the south. neighbors near my old house use to stock the woods with them, so they'd have something to hunt.

oh yeah, they may look like babies, but the boars can breed the mother pig before they are even weaned, and the sows can breed by the time they are 3 months old. you may have the beginnings of a herd on your hands. :eek: :)

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Where in Central Alabama are you, in relation to B'ham?

5. BamaNana

DayBird, we live in the Lake Martin area.

marvella, DH and I didn't know until a few days ago which ones were male /female... I sat down on the ground and as they walked around me and I compared rear-ends!!! :haha:

What a hoot!!!

well, if I'm right... all are females but one....... so you are so right!! We could be looking at a major population explosion :eek:

That's probably why someone had turned them loose. But they are so tame, my DH walked to the mail box where they came out of the woods and followed him home.... :eek: They were shivering cold and skinny and ohhhh, those sad eyes!! :no: :rolleyes:

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

oops, you looked at 'em! could be the beginnings of an addiction. :) if you can, give them a bale or two of hay or straw, and they will pile up together and keep each other warm enough. can't imagine it is too awful cold in AL. you can keep 'em fed with what they can graze in your yard, and lots of vegetable scraps, free for the asking at the grocery store, if you ask. because of excessive inbreeding (seeing as they breed so young) many of the males have cryptochordism, where their testicles are imbedded in their abdomen. easiest way to sex them is to see if the pee comes out from the rear for a female, or nearer the middle for a male. :haha: for many reasons, if someone ends up trying to keep them as pets, they really need to be fixed, and it is an expensive proposition. males are very agressive and smelly, females breed almost like rabbits.

they start out really cute, but get obnoxious as heck when they get a little size on them. let me know if you can't find a place for them. i'll put you in touch.

7. BamaNana

They adopted us a few days before Christmas when we were having daytime highs in the upper 30s and nightime lows in the teens, so we put a huge old unused doghouse in our fenced in garden, bought them a couple of bales of hay, some PB pig feed and started the search for their owners...

We've named them the Farkel Family of Five, with momma Fanny Farkel and the four little Farkels; Fredi, Faye, Phyllis and Phil Farkel :haha:

8. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Sounds like they have found their home. I wish I was closer.

Tim