free meat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Oct 17, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Mmm, moose tenderloin for supper tonight! My brother in law hunts for moose every year at the back of my property, and this year, like every year he has bagged another. I didn't like the moose taste at first but every year it gets better and better. I just might start hunting myself! Free meat!

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I had moose jerky once and it was good. Don't you just love free stuff. :)

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I love moose! When you clean the meat there is a membrane covering over the muscles. Pull this off and discard it. A lot of the gamey taste will go with it. An Eskimo boy in Alaska taught me to do this.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I saw lots of moose in the bush when I did baitfish harvesting on muskeg and bog ponds. It's nice in the spring seeing them nearby when conoeing, especiially with their young. Fall season brings out the resident tradition to hunt moose in the northland here. Bagging them is only the beginning when one is killed in a hunt. The dressing and butchering is the 'highlight'. Moose in this area have certainly kept a lot of family meat for the table, and not only for the homesteader.
    There are signs of moose nearby in my 'back yard' though the zone for hunting these is a few miles further away. The deer are more plentyful over the past few years, and nice when you can walk quietly out your back door if you wish to harvest one.

Tenderloin is the best part from moose, also from deer.

Rich

5. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

Put a diced onion in the botom of your crock pot and put 5+ pounds of misc. moose meat on top and 2 packets of taco seasoning. 6 hours later shread it up and you will have the tastyest tacos/burritos/nachos ever!

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Son tried to get us to work up two Buffalo and an Elk for all the Meat we wanted.But I wouldn't take it,because I enjoy Hunting too much.I didn't want to fill my Freezer that easy.

big rockpile

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

My brother shot a Buffalo a year back and still has a freezer full... Any time I want I go and grab some... Killed it with a bow on a Indian reservation in South Dakota... Great burgers, steaks are dry--good for the crock pot...

8. texican

texican Well-Known Member

My first moose was at a potluck in Ak. There was plenty enough moose for everyone...so I grabbed a big chunk, and thought, yes, I'm going to get my meat fix amongst all the vegans I worked with. With the first bite, came the unmistakable taste of urine. I did the ol napkin swapparini to get it out of my mouth. Tried a different piece, and they all had the urinewangie on them. I know gamey. This wasn't gamey, it was improper cleaning and packaging. Later, several people begged to get the pieces I'd barely touched. You betcha, you can have all of my moose meat. Of course, they didn't have a wild meat connosieur's palate like I do.

Later, someone else brought proper moose, and it was tough but delicious (most cooks, unless they have game meat experience, can really screw up wild meat...).

Someone also brought chocolate covered 'moose cookies'...I recognized the little oval 'hor's oevres' (however you spell it), and didn't feel like I needed the roughage, even if they were covered in luscious chocolate....

phil

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

phil,
    A 2 or 3 year old bull moose is just about right. Older ones that some trophy hunters seek with big racks will be tougher.
    Moose meat shouldn't taste like urine at all! That batch you had must have been contaminated somehow, or pauch shot in the bladder. :eek:

The 'moose cookies' are good 'roughage'. All they are is processed 'roughage' that the moose ate coming out the other end. I guess the chocolate is to alter any urine taste, though it's a 'poopy' treat. :haha:

10. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I've never had moose... if it's anything like elk or venison, I'd love it though :) Right now I'm in the process of trying to get my hands on some of the elk meat that out-of-state trophy hunters don't want to drag home. It's nice to look at a freezerful of good meat and know that the winter will be sooooo tasty!

11. FrankTheTank

A man can never have too much free meat.

Like I always tell others, "it tastes better when its free!"

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

My mom in law cooks moose all the time when we go to visit them in Newfoundland. She puts it in a pressure cooker for most of a day. I have had lots of game, though, and I can barely eat it. I guess it is the lack of fat. I like driving around during hunting season and seeing huge moose hanging from ppls garages, though. Ol'Boys hanging around the body, drinking beer, chatting. Cracks me up.

S

13. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Ive never had a deer that tasted "gamey". I guess its just what they eat and where they live. Where dh hunts, its always unpopulated and relatively clean. I don't know if that makes a difference. the steaks can sometimes be dry, but weve never had to do anything special to it that we wouldnt be doing to any other type of meat. My uncle is in KY and they have to soak it and doctor it before they like the taste.

14. FrankTheTank

How did it taste? (chickeny, beefy...) and did you ever get any eggs? I've heard that you can make a heck of an omlet with Ostrich eggs.

15. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

We have a yearly lottery for moose hunting permits. I had been putting in applications for 22 years, ever since the lottery began, and finally, two years ago, I got a permit.

My priorities were
    First…a young bull…good meat and no pangs of conscience
    Second … a cow…good meat but considerable guilt.
    Third …a “trophy”…bragging rights but not good meat. You don’t eat the horns.

After waiting 22 years I wasn’t about to pass on any of the above. As luck would have it I got a young bull… probably in his second year. There was still plenty of meat and it would likely be more tender than an old timer.

I cooked it all sorts of ways and it was great. I tried not to over cook it to keep it somewhat tender. I also tried marinades with great success. It wouldn’t pass for beef but it was darned good (or wicked good as we say here :) )

I have never had a problem with “gamey” game. I think what mostly causes that is not cooling the carcass fast enough. I hunt deer in my back yard so the deer is skinned and hanging in the barn within a few hours of its demise. Skinning it right away lets it cool fast. With the moose, I hosed it down with water and packed the chest cavity with ice overnight. I hung and skinned it the following day.

16. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Hi Moonwolf

Yep, the 'first' moose I had was indeed roadkill. The folks who took the moose had no experience with meat processing. The bladder had been ruptured. Alaska has roadkill lists for caribou and moose. I ran over a bull moose in my old vw rabbit once, and drove back to town, informed the highway patrol, so that the perfectly good moose could find a freezer. Clipped both his back legs with my bumper...thought sure I was about to eat the moose, through my windshield , he moved away at the last second...the most perfect roadkill.

Every now and then I boo boo and nick the bladder when I'm processing. I get the water hose and wash everything down pronto...I mean 'really' clean, even if there is no bladder or stomach contents involved. If I've really messed up, I'll scrub away at the bad spots. Then trim the outer membranes that surround the meat. And if I'm really worried, I'll carry it into the house, and put it under the running sink water for an hour or so, then give it the sniff test.

17. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

If it's free, it's for me :)

Stew meat in a cast iron kettle with onions and carrots for 3 or 4 hours , mmmmmmmmm

How far up there do you live Jackie C?

18. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I'm a few miles from the Minnesta border, near hwy 61. Moose counrty!

19. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Dang! that's a long way to go for a hamburger. :waa:

20. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

How much does a moose weigh ...

Live?
    Hanging?

They look so leggy it's hard to imagine how big they are ... especially for a native Midwesterner to do teh mental arithmetic!

Ann