Free Lesson: Hands-on Hog Butchering

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 5, 2003.

1. Ken your back, been missing you.

I would like to have a hands-on on how to smoke cure hams and bacon. Have any ideal where a person can go to learn that.

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Just a passing thought. One of my neighbors will be butchering 3-4 hogs sometime in November. Extra hands always welcome. If you would like to learn how it is done, consider coming. Killing, scalding, scraping and guttin on one day. Likely cutting up the next after they have hung overnight. He will smoke them (no jokes please).

Waverly is in West-central, TN. About half way between Nashville and Jackson. Motel in area. If you want to camp, you can have a spot in the yard. Water and electric access available.

If interested let me know and I'll get back to you when he schedules the day. Likely will be fairly short notice as he needs a guaranteed cold night for chilling and our weather still fluctuates in November.

Ken S. in WC TN
    scharabo@aol.com

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Ask both your county ag agent and manager at your local farmers' co-op if they know of anyone in your area who still does their own. They might welcome an interest in how it is done.

Ken S. in WC TN

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, Ken, Here I thought you were offering to give free instructions, and I was going to offer the hog! Guess we'll do it ourselves...again! Good to see you posting! Jan in Co