free large glass panes. Uses?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rowdy, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Okay, on my local freecycle list someone has offered(and I've asked for them!) Three large metal frame glass panels. Each panel is 5x8 feet in size! I have not seen them yet, but am told they are rather thick and heavy plate glass from an old storefront.

Besides some of the more obvious uses such as greenhouses, if these were yours, what would you do with them?

Rowdy

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

ooooo! i want them i want them LOL. Building another greenhouse next spring and those would be great! You are one lucky guy! But they do sound really heavy how about making a garden room off one side of your house, the shady side since you are in the land of HOT and HUMID?

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Cold frames!

Spring and fall get so iffy here that I'm always looking for tender plant protection.

4. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Out of panes that large, I'd build a sunroom. Been collecting used windows myself to add on to the greenhouse sooner or later, but decided to put a few windows in the south wall of the house instead first to let in more light. But these are smaller panes - like I said, large ones I'd use for a sunroom. If you put it on the northside of your house and add some vents, it shouldn't get too hot.

5. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Solar powered hot water heater

6. superduperchickenman

superduperchickenman Well-Known Member

I had two 4 X 5 donated to me, and I made cold frames.

7. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Well, so far everyone has reaffirmed what I had planned. One is going to be a cold frame, another the top of my water heater, and the other I've not made up my mind yet.

I live in a travel trailer, and I've considered making a 'porch' of some sort with them, I do not know yet.

Anymore ideas?

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

other day visited an old man who had made solar collectersout of old single thick windows. pre heats his indoor air for a lot of the winter! we live in a very cold area and even this helps! we have simalar windows and are making some for are houses

9. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

oooohhh... so much to do with them .....
    everyone has such great ideas ....
    solar water heater, or solar heat exchanger for the house seem the best so far ....
    but greenhouse , or cold frame ,well, ok maybe not cold frame in texas ....

please keep in mind these are most likely tinted ... and youll have to remove the tint film if they are , its just a thin plastic, so not a problem , i have about 6 of these here , and will be taking them with me when i move, and yes, everyone has said exactly what i am gonna do with mine :D
    the only thing no one has mentioned , is solar oven

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I have a collection of them started for a greenhouse/gazebo for the Jacuzzi.

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'd find plenty of uses for them! I used a couple of patio doors mounted horizontially for windows in my shop. Nice natural light & nice views.