Free land in Kansas?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone know anything about this?

http://kansasfreeland.com/

Kansas is a great place to live, play, work or own a business. We would like you to consider moving to Kansas and have created incentives to draw you to our wonderful state.

Several communities in Kansas are offering free land and other incentives. Our goal is to help our rural areas sustain and grow economically. We welcome you to take a look at the various communities offering incentives. Click on the City name and you will be redirected to their webpage. Each community’s incentives are unique and offered by local government or development groups.

2. seanpecor

seanpecor Member

I remember a television news or NPR story on this concept. I imagine that it is perfectly legitimate. You get the .25 acre for free and usually a 10 year tax abatement. It's a good offer for folks with very low incomes who can't otherwise get themselves into a house.

It is an innovative solution to a nagging problem in the big flat square states like KS, NE, SD, ND where rural towns are shrinking away. The fastest growing areas are all coastal or in the Rocky Mountains or in the southern Appalachians.

Sean.

3. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Sounds good for them, not so good for you.

These are just incentive programs, not really homesteading.

4. jennymt140

jennymt140 New Member

First of all i would like to say that i live in Ks and i disagree with Dave. There are other good areas to work in other than Salina or Hays. Dave should remember that some of the smaller towns that around the area that has the land is McPherson and Mcpherson was just named 3rd best rural town in the nation. And actually it is the #1 town in the midwest.

McPherson has alot of manufacturing jobs to offer that actually make good money here and is only a few miles from the town that is offering the land. Also, Wichita is only and hour away and many people commute there.

I like living in Kansas and i have lived in California, Florida, and some other places. It has a wide range of weather so we dont get tired of one type of weather all the time. Yes it is humid during the summer but you get used to it.

Anyway thought i would put my 2 cents in.

Carla in KS

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Here in Kansas the small towns may have SOME jobs, but the big cities have a much wider variety of jobs and they pay better, too. As a result, many of the small towns are struggling to survive as the young adults tend to head out to where there are greater opportunities.

Some small towns are fighting back. They are looking for people to move in and STAY in, and owning your own home in town is a way to do that. People who own a house in town WILL stay, if they can manage it.

To turn around the decline of a town is worth the gift of a lot, especially as the lots are moving slowly. The people moving in will hire locals to build, bring dollars into the community, and become taxpaying citizens. This is better than a lot sitting idle and being for sale for 5 years.

These offers appear to be legitimate, and the towns offering the land appear to be in good condition. They wish to stay that way. Out here, a few towns are mostly boarded up and they do not with to end up the same way.

6. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Whether its small town USA or small town Canada... the situation is always the same. Building a house on a free lot will cost you more than buying an existing similar home. Lets face it, if the lots were in demand, the price would be high. The only real way to get people into small communities (or just to keep them there) is to create more jobs.

cheers,

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Janon, if the newcomers hire someone local to build the house, then jobs HAVE been created! :haha: