Free Grants????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JAS, Jan 13, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Ok, I was noticing the "Free Grants to buy a Home" in the ads above. Has anyone ever gotten a free grant for anything, anything to do with the homestead?

We are looking to build a barn in the next couple of years, but the only thing I can think that might qualify us for a grant would be some sort of research facility (non-profit of course).

2. andalusianchik

andalusianchik Member

I write grants for a living. The USDA has some rural development and rural housing grants on various things... don't know about a barn... but there are some good grants for rural development, rural housing and water/wastewater as an example Some of these may be administered atthe state level. Every area has a USDA office...NOT county extension.. check out the USDA website, click on your state, and it should give you the local office. Also there is indoor plumbing rehabilitation (including alternative septic) from HUD administered through your state Dept of Housing and Community Development - sliding scale - but hurry !!! Funding will be cut by 50% in 2006.

3. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

"Free Grants to buy a Home"

Free? First they have to steal the money from the rest of us. I need to build a barn, need newer manure spreader, and lots of other stuff. My question is this, how is it fair for you to take my money (that I earned) and use it for your barn, when I can't afford to build one? I wish poeple would quit coveting my money. Be happy with what God has seen fit to give you. If you need more, work more.

Scott

4. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

My first inclination is to agree with you, only because so many people today want something for nothing.
    But on the other hand, RF, I can look at it as MY money... not yours. The gov't takes money from me every year, too, and if I need something badly, am willing to battle the other 100,000 people that apply for the same grant, and don't mind doing the paperwork, then I am as entitled to it as anyone. Probably MORE entitled than those who soak off of my money on a regular basis in lieu of working. And, no, I have never applied for a grant...... yet.

5. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

The USDA has some rural development and rural housing grants on various things...

USDA-Rural Development has something called the "504 Loan and Grant Program" for homeowners in the very-low income category to make repairs to their homes. You have to be 62 or over to qualify for the grants, and you would basically have to prove that you have abolutely no repayment ability to get one. Even then, there is often a LONG wait to get the grant funded. The loans, on the other hand, are still a good deal, as the interest rate is 1%. Let me reiterate: You have to already own your home; you have to be in the very-low income category (call the local office and they can tell you what income category you're in); and for the loans, you have to have good credit. And no, this particular program does not cover barns.

FYI, they also have homeownership loans (not grants). Interest rate is not 1%.

(Just trying to dispel some rumors...)