free fertilizer

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Dec 20, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Just read in a Mother Earth mag, that human urine is sterile, the nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium are in ideal chemical forms for plants. Use diluted 1 -10 and pour around plant roots for rapid green growth. It is also used in compost in diluted form to break down lignin, accelerating the decomposition of woody materials.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

jackie. true that urine is sterile, because if it wasn't you would have a urine infection. Having said that, urine is also a good culture medium to grow bacteria that are introduced. I'm cautious about handling any human body fluids after working in a hospital lab. Some sickness have latent viruses and such held in fluids that you may not know about.
    I can see why urine would produce rapid green growth by the fact it's high in ammonia which breaks down into nitrogen.
    Urine in compost is safer if one would want to bother.
    Do you notice in the lawn where the dog pees and those round patches of grass that grow greener and faster? That is a simple experiment of proof with the fertilizing capacities of urine, though it's also concentrated to 'burn' plants. Thus, I can see why they mention to use diluted.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

You see, thats the problem with magazines, you only get so much information. Its to bad that they don't have enough common sense to get professional information on subjects such as this, to inform the readers of 'pitfalls'. All they really are concerned with is sales and how to get people to buy what their selling(inforamation) as cheaply as they can. Thank you Rich, for your informed input!

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Did the article happen to mention that urine is odoriferous?

My opinion is that IF urine is to be used it be placed on tree stumps to help rot them. The extra nitrogen is just what the material needs to break down faster.

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I would never use "liquid nitrogen" as a plant food because I would not want to handle it enough to dilute it. That said, male members of the family are encouraged to make direct deposits to the compost heaps whenever the fancy takes them.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

:eek: jackie, I'm far from being 'professional', it's just that I don't mind passing on some things of experience if I known or seen it. Though being a male member of the 'easy pee' variety, I'll not mind dousing the thistle to it's nitrogenous demise!
    :haha:

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

The biggest problem with using urine is that it is very high in sodium. If used very much it will actually poison the soil.