Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone who feed hay by putting the whole bale out for them or round bale. I want to but they are so greedy that I think they might eat themselves to death. haha. We just give them a flake or two at a time and have to do it all the time. Is this how most feed there goats?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
This is just my opinion, as I do not have goats, but, I would think, if you put out a full bale, they will pig out and over eat, but once they are full full, they will quit and only return to eating when they are actually hungry. I could be wrong, but like I said, that's my opinion.

D

·
0 Posts
I do both. Sometimes free feed, other times a few flakes or alfalfa pellets at a time. No matter how much food they have free choice if you put more out they start excitedly eating again. I guess they are thinking it might be something different this time. They will slow down once full and free feeding for several days. Takes them a few days to realize it is always there. They will not explode on free choice hay or alfalfa pellets. Though they might look like it:)

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I free feed hay. I put a bale out in the pasture and push it over onto it's flat side onto a pallet. I then unwrap it MOST of the way (Plastic wrap). I then take a cattle panel and wrap it around the bale and snap it into a circle with spring snaps. At that point I finish unwrapping the plastic. We then have some pvc pipes bungied on to the panel that hold up a little top bar, and we tarp the top.

Reactions: nehimama

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't think you can over feed hay. The biggest issue is waste. However, if you utilize bale feeders , the waste is virtually eliminated and free choice feeding of hay is very economical. Besides, nothing looks better on a barn full of goats than those full rumens.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
My goats are so wasteful that we feed by the leaf. That said, I'm thinking maybe we should get a bale feeder. Would certainly cut down on chore time, but then again, it would also cut down on socialization time.

I really need the socialization. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
When I had a running tractor I would put out a round bale on its end under the goats shelter. After removing the twines I would wrap a cattle panel around and secure the panel to the fence/gate (divider between sections of the shelter.) That way the hay was under a roof and the goats could not climb on it and foul it. But they could still reach in and eat (all are disbudded.) It saved me alot of time carrying hay by the fork full out to their shelter.

I like to give them plenty of hay under shelter in the winter and when it is raining. I like them to be able to eat with out going out in the weather : ) Now though I have to hand carry out enough for the day each morning. This is where square bales would have been helpful!

I don't believe it would be possible for goats to eat too much grass hay. Too much alfalfa maybe...especially if they weren't heavy milkers or needing it for some other reason. I also give my horse unlimited grass hay under his shelter.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Dona can you post a picture of that for me? We free round bales out in the big pasture but for babies we fill hay feeders twice a day. We do not ever want them to run out of hay and always have the choice if they want it. I am needing to figure out a way to keep them off the top of the bale though.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I tried to find one but I don't have one on my computer apparently, or at least not one I can easily find. I'll be home this weekend, I'll try to get one.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I also free feed. I built a feeder that holds one small square bale. It's made from. 2x4s, the 2"x4" horse non climb and a section of wood deck railing. Im planning on making another for the buck pen- I have a couple sections from an old baby crib.

My 4 MiniMancha girls go through about 1 1/2-2 bales a week.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I recently upped the ante here on my homestead. I built a hay feeder with 5 pallets I got free at Tractor Supply and now I just stuff 4 square bales into it and they last 7-10 days or so. It saves me so much time and the waste went from like 50% to 10%.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I recently upped the ante here on my homestead. I built a hay feeder with 5 pallets I got free at Tractor Supply and now I just stuff 4 square bales into it and they last 7-10 days or so. It saves me so much time and the waste went from like 50% to 10%.
Would love to see a pic of this please!!

·
Renegade North Nigerians
565 Posts
I keep at least 1 round bale & 1 corn stalk bale in each pen during the winter months (it's very cold here in MN). They waste a fair amount but they snuggle right into it and munch away in the extreme cold. I hardly ever see them in their shelters, even in heavy snow... They can get 'under' the outermost wrap of hay. I feel the hay is cheaper than the goat, so 'so-what' if they waste it. As for over-eating, a few wethers are kinda fat, but does & bucks look great. This method probably isn't appropriate in warm temps. In the summer, I put a round calf hut over a round bale to keep it dry. The calf hut has a small opening so that slows them down.

·
Renegade North Nigerians
565 Posts
Oh... 'cinch chix' nets work fabulously for feeding small squares... NO WASTE if you get the smallest net size! This is what I do in the barn & smaller pens

1 - 17 of 17 Posts