Free credit report

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OD, Jun 1, 2005.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I heard on the news this morning that people living in the South can get a free credit report starting today at annualcreditreport.com. I would like to check my credit, but I'm not sure about giving them my SS#.
    Does anybody know anything about this?

2. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I can't find the article/reference right now, but by law, you can request a free credit report once a year from the three major credit reporting agencies. Unless the site you mentioned is connected to these three, I'd stay away from it.

...just checked again, found it. It was in my Farmers Insurance newsletter (Summer 2005). Quote:

3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

It's legitimate. That website is sponsored by the 3 credit reporting agencies.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Only about half the states can do this now. Most of the South was able to starting today. New England/East Coast in about three months and West/West Coast in about six months. The site mentioned will give the time line.

I requested mine today from one of the three. Yes, I had to give SSN, but it also asked for what bank I did business with and the length of my loan as confirmation information.

This does not include your credit score. For that you will have to pay about $7 extra.