Free choice minerals

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fishhead, Aug 13, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Are goat minerals safe when given free choice?

The bag says 0.7 oz per 100 pound body wt. but it looks like my goats eat a lot more of it than that. It also says that the selenium is safe at 3X the rate given on the bag.

I also give free choice baking soda.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, goat minerals *should* be given free choice for the does to eat them whenever they feel like it. They will eat a lot when its first put out, then slack off as they get balanced and just nibble now and then.

3. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

If I use a goat mineral block do I need to use loose minerals also? Are loose minerals preferred over the block? Not sure which is best...

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Free-choice loose minerals are much better than the blocks. Goats just cannot get enough from a block. :shrug: Big thing is too put out small amounts of the loose mineral at a time so the does will eat it up within a week or two and you can put out fresh. Thus keeping their supply relatively fresh. They do not like "stale" minerals and minerals tend to draw moisture from the air and then they clump and stick, which the does don't like either. So I never fill my mineral containers more than a 1/3 full if that. I just put it out more often and it keeps them coming back for more. :)

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks. I'll keep putting it out without measuring it.

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I give all my goats free choice of minerals and they love it. I would never give a goat block mineral because I have heard stories of goats breaking off a tooth OUCH.. Just fellow the directions on the bag if like and good luck with them. :)