Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title is correct. This is the 8th consecutive year that I've had a seed offer on this forum. Each year it gets bigger. All previous ones included free trial packets from Jung's. As it appears right now, there will be none of those distributed to the outlet stores this year. If any do become available, they will be included.

Cost of the seeds I am offering is free. It's the postage and packing where I hope to break even. The big expense is going to be postage. Because of the bulk of beans, package rate is involved and that's $1.34 for 2 ounces. #000 bubble envelope is used for protection. I buy them by the case of 500 and it comes out to 23¢ each. Plastic bean package costs 1¢ each and coin envelope for tomato seeds is 3¢. When a basic request is filled, I'll have $1.71 invested. When the project is finally closed out, it would be nice if the average returns is $1.71. If not, the enjoyment in knowing that many others are enjoying my garden will be sufficient reward.

And now the famous HT form or payment, if any. Honey, jelly, jerky, pickled beets, sauerkraut, soap, tea (for me), coffee (for wife), garden gloves, bread, pecan pie, kitchen shears, and many, many other pleasant surprises have arrived over the years. Often just one of those has more meaning and memories than 10 who might submit cash. For those who prefer just placing something in an envelope, it can be cash, check, or postage stamps and any amount that you feel like. BUT NO PAYPAL! Since this offer is extended to all HT members regardless of what country they live in, there's always been enough generous Americans here to cover you.

And the offer. Basic is choice of 4 tomato varieties and 2 bean varieties. Tomatoes will have about 30 seeds per packet. Beans will also be at least 30 unless otherwise noted. If you see 8 tomatoes and 4 beans that you can't live without, I'm flexible but my cost goes up. Free is OK but free+free would be a bit much if you might want to be welcome to partake of seed offer IX.

The tomatoes are the best varieties that I grew in 2008 plus some of the better ones from the previous 2 years. Some of the great ones from the past aren't on the list since the quantity is low and needed for SSE requests. None of what I consider inferior is on the list and I didn't separate the medium and large varieties. Other than the cherry tomatoes, almost everything in 2008 was either for large fruit size or large production. Therefore none should be a total disappointment. The only place where you can find information on every variety listed would be http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tomates/passion_tomate.htm although it's in French. Many are also available from small specialty companies so Googling will find most of them.

Canners to huge slicers:
Amana Orange
Amish Red
Belarusan Heart
Black From Tula
Black Krim
Black Pear
Black Prince
Boondocks
Borgio Cellano
Bull's Heart
Burracker's Favorite
Chateau Rose
Cherokee Purple (PL)
Chianti Rose
Chocolate Stripes
Cow's Tit
Crimson Cushion
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Dinner Plate
Dr. Lyle
Dorothy's Mennonite Beefsteak
Dorothy's Mennonite Bicolor
Dorothy's Mennonite Big Heart
German Head
Giant Belgium
Giant Oxheart
Giant Roma
Giant Tree
Gigante Liscio
Greenbush Italian
Grosse Cotelee
Hog Heart
Hungarian Italian Paste
Japanese Oxheart
Julia Child
Kalman's Hungarian Red
King Pineapple
Lancaster Pink
Large Pink Bulgarian
Legend
Marglobe
Market Miracle
Mexico
Mortgage Lifter
Noire de Russie
Old German
Red Heart Yellow
Red Penna
Red Zebra
Russian Annie
Sandul Moldovan
Super Beefsteak
Super Choice
Super Marmande
Tater Kin
Taxi
Teton de Venus
Thessaloniki Oxheart
Ukrainian Pear
Valena Pink
Watermelon Beefsteak
Wes
White Tomesol
Woodle Orange
Yamal
Zorica's Croatian Bulleye

Cherry or small tomatoes:
Amish Salad
Besser
Black Cherry
Gardener's Delight
Japanese Golden Pear
Lemon Drop
Matt's Wild Cherry
Mirabell
Moby Grape
Peacevine Cherry
Preacher
Tommy Toes, Red
Tommy Toes, Yellow

The "house special" tomatoes:
Paquebot Roma
Wisconsin 55
Wisconsin 55 Gold

The beans are quite a varied lot. For most of them, 30 seeds will be a good starter quantity and often twice what I started out with. (Three large types will be less.) The first year won't see a huge excess and how much you plant the following year is determined by how much you eat this year.

Bush snap beans:
Black Valentine
Cherokee Wax
Dragon Tongue
Maxibel
Purple Queen
Roma II
Sequoia
Tendergreen
Top Crop

Bush dry beans:
Belizean Red
Black Turtle
Brown Dutch
Coco Rubico
Flor de Mayo*
Great Northern*
Hutterite Soup
Jacob's Gold
King of the Early
Red Kidney
Tiger Eye
Yellow Eye*
Yellow Indian Woman/Ava*
(*24" fence best for support.)

Pole snap/shelly/dry beans:
Aunt Jean's
Blue Marbutt
Case Knife
Cherokee Black
Greasy Grit
Jimenez
Logan Giant
Mennonite Purple Stripe
Purple Pod
Turkey Craw
Uncle Steve's Italian
Williams River

Pole limas:
Florida Speckled
King of the Garden Pole (15)
Sieva
White Willow Leaf

Yard-long pole bean:
Asparagus

Bush lima:
Pennsylvania Dutch Red

Others:
Azuki (50)
Black Tepary (50)
Blackeye Cowpea (50)
Potato (15)
Scarlet Runner (15)

The craziest bean:
Maria Amazilitei's Purple Speckled Pole
(Yellow wax snap/dry bean but the pods curl into a perfect 6.)

The final and most important part is how to contact me. E-mail is [email protected] and prefer "seed" or "seeds" somewhere in the message title. Do not use the forum PM system unless you have a very good excuse. What I need in the message are the varieties that you want and an address to mail them to. I may or may not have time to acknowledge your message but usually don't fail to answer any question that one may have. Just don't expect to receive it 5 minutes after you click on Send! Finally, we can figure that by 15 April everyone should have had enough time to plan their gardens and started their tomatoes. I can then go back to being a gardener rather than a seedsman.

Martin

·
Heuman's Paradise Farm
110 Posts
Sent you an email already :bouncy:

Can't wait to try Cow's Tit :happy:

My DIL just rolled her eyes at me

Vikki

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
you da man!

:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow Martin, I had no idea! I am a Certified Tomato Freak and can not WAIT to try these out. You are certainly a kind and generous man.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
So.. I sat down and opened the gardening forum.. DH is at his computer a few feet away playing Spore..
I gasped and there began a huge flurry of desk clearing, heavy breathing, the grabbing of the gardening notebook, I almost flipped the chair and started throwing stuff around looking for my pen!
He looks up, questioningly.
"Ooh, Ooh, the seed list. It's the seed list!! He's posted the seed list!!!

Thank you so very much Martin.!!! There are just no words.
And a hint to everyone... Martin's 'Paquebot Roma' was my favorite tomato in the garden last year and I highly recommend it! It sauced, canned and froze very well. The taste was full and rich without being heavy, very few seeds and low jelly.. The vines are well behaved and the flesh is a gorgeous watermelon red! Pick when the fruits are a pearly pink.. that means they are ripe. The insides are deep red and peeking through the translucent pearly skin.

·
Chief Vegtable Grower :)
941 Posts
Well, it only took me 3 hrs to make up my mind. :bash::stars: LOL

Martin - you got mail. :rock::cowboy:

Carrie in SD

·
Registered
382 Posts
Miz Mary,

You need to send martin an email with your list.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Alright look, you people who can decide so quickly! HOW do you do it?!?! :eek: LOL! I've spent HOURS today on Google, Dave's Garden, and many other sites, copying and pasting descriptions and reviews (when I can find them) of each variety into a Word document so that I can separate them by type a bit more, carefully weigh the pros and cons of each, and *try* to narrow the field. Dude, I've been at this all afternoon, and I'm only through the "canners/slicers" list up through letter G! :sing:

Thank you, Martin!!! :bouncy::rock:

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
This helped me immensely.. I used it last year too as well as a tomato variety site that I didn't save.. hmmm
http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/index.php this is a ratings site where you can read how certain varieties are rated and the traits (good and bad)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The final and most important part is how to contact me. E-mail is [email protected] and prefer "seed" or "seeds" somewhere in the message title. Do not use the forum PM system unless you have a very good excuse. What I need in the message are the varieties that you want and an address to mail them to.
Someone comented that his PM box is full - Just reiterating - Do NOT PM him - :bash: he has requested an email. I'm sure he spends hours and hours filling these requests. Please don't make it any harder on him than it needs to be!

·
Registered
209 Posts
:rock: Yay! I loved the Mennonite Orange I got last year, I can't wait to get this year's seeds! OK, off to plot what I want to recieve! You're the best, Martin.

Editing to Add: Perhaps you should supply the address we can mail honey, money, stamps etc to.... if it's the same as last year I've got that one, but it might prove useful for those requesting seeds to have it here... you wouldn't have to keep sending it to people.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Someone comented that his PM box is full - Just reiterating - Do NOT PM him - :bash: he has requested an email. I'm sure he spends hours and hours filling these requests. Please don't make it any harder on him than it needs to be!
thanks....((((((((hanging my head))))))))
Im having a very off day ....Im not trying to intentionally make it hard on him ...sorry , and THANK YOU for helping me !!!

·
gracie88
913 Posts
Alright look, you people who can decide so quickly! HOW do you do it?!?!
I'm just picking the coolest sounding names :D

1 - 20 of 184 Posts