Fred and Barney--now ham and bacon, shops and loin...

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by vancom, Nov 29, 2006.

1. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Well, nearly. They were loaded up and taken away on Tuesday and today Sean visited the butcher and saw them skinned and ready to be cut up. We asked for way too much sausage now that we have our grinder, stuffer, etc!! And we got a smoker so that we can do our own bacon and 1 of the hams (the other hams are headed to a cure/smoker place--we only wanted to risk one!!)

Not sure how much they weighed (Sean forgot to ask!) but I'll bet it was around 240-250. They were BIG fellows.

I enjoyed raising the pigs--we have been discussing getting another 2 in the spring now that we know what to do and not to do...our biggest concern right now is getting that bacon ready!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

3. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting your hogs to market.

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Too much sausage - is there such a thing??? lol I have an antique sausage stuffer/lard press that I bought at auction. I need a grinder, but have no idea what to get - brand or size-wise. Any suggestions?

Niki

5. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new load of pork headed your way!

dezeeuwgoats,
    If it's a home use grinder, Sausagemaker sells one for around 100.00 that I own. It works quite well. Just like all grinders, the key is to keep the plates and knife sharp.

www.sausagemaker.com

6. dezeeuwgoats

Sorry about the thread drift - Rockin'B - electric or manual?

Thanks
    Niki

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Electric. Good solid stainless steel unit for 100 bux plus shipping.

8. dezeeuwgoats

Thanks again, Rockin'B!

Niki

9. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

wow--they weighed 285 and 295! Grew 'em bigger than we thought we had...it got to the point that they were too big for me to tape measure without getting really really messy...

got the meat back today--it was great. And kind of scary since the hams are SO big! We intended to keep 2 (one to brine and then smoke and the other to roast this weekend) and take two to a commercial place for a sugar cure/smoke to compare flavors, but they are so darn big that we are going to see if we can get the two biggest ones cut in half--if necessary, we'll the the saws-all to them, I guess!

We ended up with 65 pounds of sausage, lots of roasts, ribs, loins and various chops. Can't wait to taste the chops we set out for tonight--we'll pan fry them in olive oil with sliced garlic and fresh oregano, with mashed potatoes and green beans--yum!

Total bill for the hauling, kill fee, butchering and wrap (which I will re-do next time): $227.80. Less that I thought it would be. Now we got to get going on the sausage, ham and bacon making!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Those pigs sure are decieveing! I'm still trying to gain an eye in guessing hog weights. Of course they are always much heavier than I guess. I always forget that the hams are too big when I send a hog to be butchered. Next time I will get most of them made into ham steaks. My mouth is watering thinking of the chops you're having for dinner tonight! Mmmm, maybe I'll have to go out to the freezer. LOL

Heather