Freaking amazing...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by kesoaps, Jan 10, 2007.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

The weather report here for the past three days has been predicting snow followed by temps dropping into the 20s. So this morning when most of the county woke up to four inches, you'd think that the schools would have said they'd be closed. Nope.

There are now six school buses in the ditches or sliding off the road across the county, one of which actually fell onto it's side while full of children! It just blows my mind that A) the schools were more concerned about having to make up another snow day and thought it was okay to risk driving in this weather and B) that parents were stupid enough to trust them and send their kids out, especially after the last storm that came through!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    These decisions were made by those who have 'leader/lier mentality', not to be confused with real people.

3. tchan

tchan Well-Known Member

And since no seatbelts on schools buses that makes it double dangerous! Anything to have that child in a seat come roll call so they can get their money.

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

kesoaps, what county are you in? Most of the schools down my way (Cowliitz) were either closed or running late this morning. My dd homeschools, but as her neighborhood friends were home for the day, we took the day off and let her have an unexpected opportunity to just go out and play in the snow with them.

It's snowing heavily again outside as I type...how is the weather up your way? :)

5. kesoaps

I'm in Bellingham. Up along the border there's 18 inches! The temps are already down into the 20's and people are calling in to the radio with their driving experiences as they try to get home. (My DD homeschools, too, thankfully!)

DH is driving to Anacortes to work tonight (6pm-6 am) and thinks he may just get a room down there somewhere instead of driving home. Trouble is, those are odd hours for hotels! Maybe there's some sort of deal for the refinery workers. He said there was no snow down there this morning when he headed home. I'm sure there is by now.

Oh, the news right now is saying there's talk of seatbelts on school buses! :) Of course, the school districts still haven't called in to say school is cancelled for tomorrow...the folks on the radio are stumped over that, saying it's obviously going to be worse in the morning than it is right now!

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Reminds me of several years ago when we had an ice storm hit the DFW area. They did not close school even though they had planes sliding off the runway at DFW and accidents all over the highway (the one my daughter had to drive on to get to school). No way did I let her go to school that day or the next. Ridiculous!

I sure hope all the children got home safely.

7. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in Middle TN and if they even hear the word snow they close the schools, not really but real close. They always are very quick to not put the children at any risk. I work in a school a block from my house so often I can get there but since buses are not running school gets cancelled, which is fine with me LOL.

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Most of the schools here called for late openings last night, so nobody would get up early, then they closed most of the schools. But really, I drove to town and back a couple of times and the roads had been plowed/sanded, so they could have run buses. Trouble is, our district used up all their snow days before xmas break, with the windstorm and the out of season snow in November. Not as if we care, my homeschoolers never get up before 9, ha ha.

9. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

When my kids were in school, the school was always very cautious.

Although, I didn't need the school to tell me whether to send my kids or not.

10. kesoaps

Our county sold all it's plows... :flame: The sanding truck drives up our road but never tosses any sand down. I think they just didn't want to do any more makeup days.

11. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Wow. That is one dumb set of leaders! If you are going to nix the plows & "forget" to sand, in a NORTHWESTERN climate, don't expect the school buses, or anyone else that is ill-prepared, to make it to school safely with kids on-board! GoodNESS! Do they at least provide chains for the school buses and appropriate training for the drivers?

Of course there are bad drivers everywhere but few people I've met from your area know how to drive on snow/ice and they tend to panic at the mere THOUGHT of freezing temps. The roads can be awful even for the best drivers when they are filled with these types (I have lots of family in your area so visit fairly often-I'm amazed at how "stupid" about winter driving my Alaskan-born sisters have become over the decades of life down there-lol! My grandmother lives in Bellingham and in her mid-80s still drives and does it WELL in all weather!).

On another note, we get lots and lots and lots of snow and have plows and sanders out in full force (although this year they've really been slacking, IMO). Yet we still have lots of dumb drivers that make it unsafe for others that DO know how to drive properly. It also makes lots of people expect schools will close when they don't. I'd rather see them close the schools for COLD than for snow, which I don't believe they've been doing even with the -20F to -30F temps. here lately... (and that's not even counting wind chill factor).

12. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

hoofinit, I so agree about WA drivers! Dh had to drive home from Sea Tac last night when the storm hit and it took forever because of drivers just stopping in the middle of the road.

Now ice can be a problem- that is terrible about them not closing schools and putting the kids at risk. They did close them here and cancel activities.

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Heck, in Minnesota if we closed schools every time it snowed 4", the schools would never be open!

14. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Same here, Cabin Fever.

Mayfair - we have awful drivers up here too and most of them are NOT military imports - just bad drivers. My Alaskan-born sisters are so funny though - they have lots of wrecks but mostly they are minor. I just laugh when they complain about having to "drive through the pass" and "chains are REQUIRED" and "OH MY GAWD IT'S AWFUL OUT THERE". Please. Have you seen our roads in the Turnagain Arm & Turnagain Pass? Absoultely the worst I've driven that are routinely maintained - mostly due to weather. Driving wind, rain, snow, sleet, etc., often white-out conditions and it can be several hours between plow trucks so even when the road expands to 3 lanes for passing, it is often restricted to 1 passable lane. The road, for those that aren't familiar, is the only road between Alaska's Kenai Peninsula (Soldotna, Kenai, Homer, Seward, etc.) and Anchorage & Mat-Su Valley (Palmer, Wasilla, etc.), which links up to the precious few of the rest of the roads in this state. It's a good 2-3-hour drive between Anchorage and Soldotna with not a lot between for emergency help.

Gosh I love Alaska though, we get to laugh at the goobers in the ditch that just passed us going 90mph because we were too slow at 55mph in the aforementioned conditions. :D

15. rileyjo

rileyjo Well-Known Member

I've been driving schoolbus for years and I've never, ever had my run cancelled due to snow and I was in an area that averaged 11 feet of snow a year.

We get cancelled for ice rain and fog and temps below -35* but we don't have snowdays for just Snow.

16. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Glad I'm not the only person who keeps thier kids off the roads in bad weather. The School board only really declares half the days as no bus days that they should (well this year is different, no winter as yet) They haven't lost a years schooling for my intervention yet.

17. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Blah Blah Blah..............You northern people and your snow.
    I can sweat circles around you guys in the summer!