Freak accident!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by steff bugielski, Oct 17, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I lost my old buck yesterday. He had been feeling his age lately,8. Although he had made great efforts to breed with all 27 females this month I am glad I had his replacement on hand. I had gone out to fill their hay rack around 5 o'clock but did not check to see if every goat was around. When I went back around 7 to put them in the barn for the night I heard him crying out in the corner of the pasture. I ran over to find him stuck in a tree. Well his leg was stuck. He must have had his front hooves on the tree trying to get the leaves when he slipped. That alone would not have been a big deal, they are always doing stupid things like that. But in doing so his leg slid through the crotch of the tree to the other side. It just so happens that that is where the electric fence wire runs. His leg was laying ontop of it for who knows how long. When I got there I grabbed his nylon collar and could feel the electricity even though it. His tongue was hanging out and blueish, he was drooling and could not stand or walk. I limped and dragged him to the barn but knew it was only a matter of time. He had now control of his legs and just kept yelling , that deep agonizing bellow.
    I will miss my Oscar. He was the gentlest buck ever. Wanted to be hugged and kissed. He even was gentle to his offspring and always wanted to see his newborn kids.
    Steff

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that. What a horrid shame. I can relate to the sweet buck attitude. My Oliver is an absolute peach (I just wish he smelled like one). Again, sorry about your loss.

Ruth

3. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself though. THings like that can happen with our goats. THey love to get into trouble it seems.

Dawn

4. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss too. Ya know..about half of our place has just the same set up as you. And if one of the darlings slips just right..heck..unfortunately..that same scenario could happen here.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I don't know about anyone else..but I have been around studs, bulls, boars and I am only comfortable around my male boer buck. "Mickey" is such a sweet heart..and he is so young and a "worrier". I would LOVE to just wrap my arms around him like when he was younger...but oh my! he is aromatic!

I am glad you had a back up buck too. Try to have a good day.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh,,,,,I'm so sorry.........These things do happen. As a wise person once told me, "if you have any type of livestock, eventually you will also have deadstock". Very true. So sorry for the loss.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

6. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Oh... I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Alas, the troubles our goats seem to find for themselves.... *big hug*

Kaza

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Oh, that's horrible! I'm so sorry!

8. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about the gentle buck. We lost one a couple months ago. He would actually come up to you and hug you. He would put his head on your shoulder and pull you into him. and he would just lean into you. He wanted to be loved and generously gave love too.

We were lucky to have one of his offspring, who is turning out to be identical to his Daddy in every way.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. But, goats are goats and will get into any predicament imagineable and a few that you can't possibly imagine.

9. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry too hear of your loss, as everyone has said, unfortunatly goats like to get themselves in trouble. I heard a horrible screaming one morning, and found one of my boer does, with her horns hooked through the crook of a tree, and her head twisted too wear she was being chocked,luckily i was able too break off the one limb before she broke her neck-but if i hadn't been home, i believe i would have found her dead . If we allow them too use woods for graze and have horns-we can be asking for accidents.
    Now i hear screaming myself, which is a 3 month old doe kid, that majically escapes from the pen with the other young does,then doesn't know how too get back in! I still haven't found where she gets out!! :stars:

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am SOOO sorry, I hope that you don't have to worry about anything of hte sort again. Hope that you can have a good day. See ya, bye.