Framing question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by caballoviejo, May 19, 2005.

1. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

For floor/ceiling joists I've been using 2 X 6s on 1' centers. Well within the maximum spans for the grade of lumber I can readily get. In one section of the ceiling/2ndfloor with a slightly longer span I would neet to get number 1 southern pine in order to meet the need span. I can't get better than number 2 grade here for SYP.

Question: can I use 2X8's for these longer spans (which will easily meet the span indicated in span tables) even if I notch out 1.5" at the ends where they rest on the top plates? Doing so would preserve my entire upper floor on one level plane.

2. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

If you knotched out 2 x 8's 1.5" at the ends, you have just created 2 x 6's for the price of 2 x 8's. Lumber grades relate to the straightness of the grain as well as the size (diameter) of any knots and quantity of knots. It is possible that #2 grades if carefully selected "might" equate to some of the #1 grades out there, but no guarantee. Another possibility is to BLOCK under the knotched out 2 x 8 so the bottom of the 2 x 8 was also supported, not just the knotched out portion.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Run doubled 2 by 6's with a plywood fische plate between them at least 1/2 inch thick.

A one quarter inch mild steel plate if your inspector is a turkey.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Notch the 2x8's, the notching is an old acceptable practice in years past. The center span is where the problem exists with the 2 x 6's

5. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

The only inspector on my place is me - and I care more than any inspector could. Double 2 x6s with plywood sandwiched in would be overkill for the needed span, and expensive and time consuming compared to elsewhere.

If necessary, I could attach a 2 X 4 or 1X 4 frieze board under the 2 X 8's by nailing it to the double top plate. It would double as moulding.