Fragrance ideas for the home

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by baysidebunny, Jan 4, 2005.

1. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Hi Bunny.... you might have better luck in the 'crafts' forum.. but, for now, I will say:

I'm not sure what it is you have there, but if it warms potpourri, you can also put in around a 1/4 c of water and then add whatever essential oil..10 drops or so, and in a short time.. it will smell wonderful. The medicinal effects of the esential oils don't work when heated.. BUT.. they smell really great. AND you have a bigger selection, less expense, and purity. I HATE all those 'scented' candles, etc. I wonder WHAT chemical compounds they have put in those things!! :confused:

Essential oils can be purchased at most any health food store or a lot of places online. I think "NOW" is a pretty good brand for burnin',, as it's reasonably priced.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Water with a few cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise, sage, cardamom or any combo on the stove is great...not sure how deep your reservoir is for water, so may not work for you.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I do the same thing!

You can order Yankee Candle items at their website online. Be sure to check out their clearance section...www.yankeecandle.com

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

and dont forget orange peels they smell nice to

6. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I sell Gold Canyon candles and there is probably someone in your area (I am in SC KS). I love our candles as they keep smelling good a long time. When I cannot burn them any longer (the wicks don't burn all the way to the bottom to keep the glass from shattering), I use them on a candle warmer then pour into foil mini-muffin papers. If you are interested, you can email me at moldy1965@yahoo.com. (End of my shameless self-promotion).

7. inc

inc Well-Known Member

"I wonder WHAT chemical compounds they have put in those things!!"
    dont knwo about the candle part, but the fragrance is a premix. there are several fragrance companies that sell both the individual fragrance concentrate, and the mixed product. the mix is the usual, spicy bayberry, seabreeze, several florals, citrusy, etc.
    much of the commercal scents are artificial created in a lab but there are some bulk naturals out ther, prices much higher of course.
    the artificial scents are copies of several chemiclas found in the 'real thing;, cheaper and stronger. they are probably more durable and concentrated too, appropriate for candle use. i doubt that you could use natural scent in a candle.cept bayberry wax

8. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I second orange peels...i love the smell...anything made in the crock pot seems to smell good, but then again i'm always hungry :)

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

:):) That's what I meant. NOT Pure, Natural OR Theraputic. Chemicals of unknown origin are not good for anyone to inhale. Sorry scented candle lovers. Just don't breath too deeply. (I'm also an Aromatherapist.) If you're breathing it.. it's going into your bloodstream.

10. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I enjoy adding essential oil of Lavender 3 drops to the kettle on the woodstove.
    Also putting essential oil on a cotton ball 3-6 drops in the new vaccum bag. Or essential oil in an infuser that plugs in. I use good quality oils and in small amounts. DH does not like "wiffy" scents so Lavender or Clary sage work well. There is a really nice book called Aromatherapy by Worwood out there.
    Jodi :)