Foxhole's for deer hunting, anybody ever try it?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 12, 2004.

1. I don't know about bowhunting in fox holes but wondering if muzzle and gun hunting would work great if a person would take the time to dig a trench or two. I'm looking for alternatives for tree stand hunting and don't really like ground blinds as the deer seem to wind me quit often and thought maybe a foxhole would contain my scent a little better. I know they now have expensive charcoal activated clothings and blinds but they are just a little too pricey for me. But yet I also know around here in my neck of the woods the ground is full of boulders.

Anybody ever try it with success?

2. Uh, I'm talking about digging my own hole not actually sitting with a fox! :eek:

3. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

I would worry about a child falling into the hole or someone with a weapon falling into it and hurting themselves.....

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I'd be concerned about some halfwit taking a pot shot at my head. :eek:

5. Well actually I was thinking of digging the hole just about 3 ft. deep and placing deadfall limbs around it to make it look more natuaral. As I dig the hole I would place the dirt around the hole which would make it deeper faster and then place deadfalls around it for more concealment. I would think the biggest danger would be not checking the foxhole out before entering and finding myself sitting with a big rattler! :no:

6. Haggis, the last few years I have started carrying one of those leafy camo blinds with me and when I find what I think would be a ideal location to sit, then I would drape the blind over me while I sit up next to a tree. But to keep from being shot at I would wrap an extra flourescant safety vest around the tree a couple of feet above my head. I would do the same thing while setting in the foxhole.

7. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Back when I had time for hunting, there is a large pine tree that had toppled over from the roots leaving a large hole in the ground and a mound of dirt and roots on the back side. A little cleaning out and this was the perfect bunker for deer hunting.

8. unregistered6474

unregistered6474 Guest

I went to Tom Brown's wilderness survival school, and they told us that you can get the same effect as those expensive charcoal clothes by just rubbing yourself with ashes from a campfire and mud. They said that this is actually LESS noticable to the deer than the typical camoflauge pattern found on clothes. The charcoal also helps conceal your scent.

One of the class instructors used this type of natural camoflauge as well as stalking techniques to hunt elks with his handmade bow and arrow. He said that he could get close enough to an elk that the arrow would hit the elk just as the feathers on his arrow brushed past his hand.

It might feel silly to cover yourself with ash and mud after you've stripped down to your shorts, but supposedly it's very effective - and cheap :)

9. katlara you may have a good point there. My ancestors (injuns) hunted in buck skin clothing and usually set around the campfire in them all the time. They also smoked their skins over a fire for coloring. So maybe I should do the same.

10. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

uh, was that their OWN skin they smoked around the campfire, or was it the skin they were wearing.......?
    You know, come to think of it before these white guys came over here and ''civilised'' us, the guys went hunting all day , there was no income tax, and the women did all the work, and now that we're ''civilised'', the guys go to work, we pay income tax, and only go hunting on weekends....so much for being''civilised '' for you, that's progress, I guess.

11. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Cheap charcoal suits are available from Surplus stores like Sportsman's Guide or Cheaper Than Dirt.

Chemical suits used by the military are charcoal lined and are (obviously)camoflaged.
    www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=44574

Just a thought.