Fox news goat attack

Discussion in 'Goats' started by the mama, Oct 13, 2006.

1. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

A stupid video report on a goat attack. Video did not appear to be complete. The owner was upset as the goat was shot by police. My question, was it a buck in rut? Other goats did not get out of the fence. I feel for this owner losing a pet. Someone needs to educate these police officers about goats. I wish I could contact fox news about their bad reporting. :flame:

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I saw that too. Heck..in rut..OR like most of ours..overly "friendly"! I don't know why they didn't go get the owner. Ah .. again..life is not precious in this world I fear. And so many people don't stop to think about who they are hurting. Felt so bad for the owner. You could tell he was wounded.

I think if you just type in Foxnews.com or something relatively close..you should find a place to contact them.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

4. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

:stars: Yes, this is a text with more info than the video report that I saw. My goats "dance" to play with you. But if you were walking a dog you'd be safe as they dislike dogs. Still if this goat were only 50#, the officers should be ashamed of shooting it :duel: And my 50# doe will butt the car door wanting in, also butts the food bin, the cats and the chickens. She will run after you and jump into your lap if you are sitting outside. Anyone guess that she was a bottle baby? :grouphug: for the owner.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

That is really sad. I feel really sorry for the family that lost their pet, but it is funny, it shows how stupid people really are. I have to say I have seen dogs attack and they don't shoot them. My heart goes out to the family.

6. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Remember; "FAIR AND BALANCED"

I didn't see the report but have found the video report on Faux News. As mama stated it is quite incomplete, but here's the link. . . .

http://www.foxnews.com/bigstory/

and in the center right column, under the FOX NEWS VIDEO is the link "Goat Attack". I tried to copy the link for this response, but all I get is the same link as above.

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. Having a large horned male animal even just following you can be a very scarey experience for a person not familiar with goats. Let alone a pregnant woman. They should have tried something besides killing it...but thats what happened. The owner was at much at fault as the police in my opinion, by not containing his buck better. Especially this time of year. They *can* be very dangerous. Its just sad it wasn't handled in a better way, maybe both sides will learn something from this experience.

9. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Last evening I was catching up the month old bucklings of my doe to start their dimethox 40% cocci preventative. Well, one of the kids yelled when I grabbed him, and mama came over and shoved me! She has NEVER been a stinkpot before, actually rather timid, but motherhood is motherhood! And though the shooting is sad, I do feel that perhaps the man didn't have good fences? I have friends who don't have animals, are fearful of all critters, and while they are absolute "ninnies" in my mind, I do need to try to respect, or at least "hear" their fear. Poor knuckleheads that they are.

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I don't know about the poor buck, but the goat in that picture looks like it has some of that killer spinach hanging out of its mouth!

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

And isn't 50 lbs. a tad on the tiny side for a buck with horns?

My Nigie buck weighs a lot more than that!

12. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

13. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

I couldn't get the video to play. Is there an alternative site?

I could see the goat getting aggressive if another male was in the area. My big buck doesn't have a problem with women, but let a male of any species near him during rutting season and he can get aggresive.

Didn't say if the dog started barking at the goat either.

14. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Maybe because she was pregnant, she was putting off some sort of smell that he liked?????

15. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

That does not look to me like a 200 pound goat. I don't know my breeds well, but I'm thinking it was a nigerian. Maybe a large one. :shrug:

It's sad, but even a knee high nigerian buck can do some damage with a slam. What I thought was silly was the farmer's response...... "they don't have teeth, they don't have claws, they aren't 200 pounds, these are pets". I say.... well sheesh! a goat that butts you, especially one with horns, CAN do some damage. I know my little buck (who is slightly smaller than I think that goat was), if he stood up on his hind legs and came at me full force could possibly hurt me big time.

16. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I feel this is sad too but.... When people own animals, it is the owner's responsibility to contain the animals that they own. Other people who do not own that particular type of animal are not familiar with their behavior. I have a couple of bucks in rut and I have to say that I am very careful when I go in my pen because they are really territorial when in rut and I don't care what the owner says, a goat with horns can do alot of damage. If an animal I knew nothing about, with horns reared up at me like that, I probably would have reacted the same way. I had one goat that had horns, we had just gotten her. She wanted my son to pet her and so she put her head down and butted his leg for attention. Well, the horn gashed his leg pretty good. Now if a friendly goat can do that, imagine what one could do to a pregnant woman! I feel that the owner bears the full responsibility for this one. It reminds me of a lady I knew whose large dog was loose all of the time and she would say "Oh he is a big baby and would not bite a flea"... yeah, right up until the dog took a child's face half way off. It is so sad that the goat had to suffer for the owner's lack of knowledge. On the other hand, I don't care how good your fencing is, goats can be escape artists..lol JMO

17. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Observation is the key to figuring out the intent of any animal, be it dog, cat, or hippo! Unfortunately, in this world of everything going 200 miles a minute, folks don't have time to do this. They are too busy with other things, like that old job of staying healthy enough to pay the bills.

That said...

Unless anyone has ever been scared, and I'm talking "This situation can take my life or the life of someone I care about," you don't have time to really think... only react in a way that will eliminate the present/considered dangerous situation. The woman escaped into a truck, as did the truck driver, and the officer observed until the animal did something he didn't recognize, resulting in the death of the animal. I'd of done the same thing if an elephant did something I didn't understand and/or took offense to, regardless of the "professional's" opinion afterwards!

Bottom line: Keep your stock within your fences to the best of your ability. If they escape regularly, count on loosing said animal to a car/truck going down the road at 60 mph, a meteor shower, an earthquake, or even a police officer that has more pressing things to do with his/her day than taking a crash course in animal behaivior! This "education" will come with time and experience in a rural environment.

In my opinion, the fault is the owner, not the buck nor the cop this time.

Wing

18. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Well said Wing.... I agree. My husband and I were talking it over, and he was saying "all the cop had to do was grab the goat by the horns". Simple enough said, but if you know nothing about goats (which it's highly possible this cop didn't), how are you to know to even try this? Besides, even grabbing the horns of a buck that's thrusting himself at you could get you a broken wrist.

19. poppy

poppy Guest

I had a mean pygmy buck once that would hit you hard enough to knock you down and I weigh 200 lb. Once down, he would keep hitting you.

20. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Usually if you get a rope around a goat's neck, they get so obsessed or scared with it that they will stop trying to attack you. It seems to me that they didn't even attempt to try anything else.