Fox hanging around house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Leay, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

I have a question that hopefully someone here can help me with. There has been a fox hanging around my house for the last couple of weeks. I don't have a problem with that but I was under the impression that fox tend to avoid areas where people are. I also have a Rottweiler that is kenneled when not in the house. I'm very surprised that this fox would even come around with my dog here. I'm worried that he might have rabies or distemper. Is this normal behavior for a fox?

Thanks for any replies!
    Leay

2. VAkat

VAkat Member

We had one on the farm for a few weeks. We also had a husky/chow/wolf mix that roamed freely. She didn't care, it was free range corn fed chickens when she could get close enough! Day, night, didn't matter. I followed her one day & found her den. She had a few little ones. Animal control said if they came out they would have to put down the entire family. And they didn't know of anyway to get her to move. I did. When I found she was out of her den, I stuck a few of my ex's stinkin wet socks into the hole (of course I didn't plug it up or anything). She moved out w/babies the next day, never saw her again!
    Kindest regards;
    KAT

3. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, KAT! I feel a little better now that I know that this behaviour is normal. I don't have any chickens or rabbits so it doesn't bother me if this guy wants to hang around. My only concern was that he could possibly be rabid. He certainly looks healthy enough, so I guess he stays.
    Leay

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Did them stiinkin' sox get rid of the ex also? That story is really funny..

5. VAkat

VAkat Member

Hahaha, Uncle Will, the ex now lives in the shi-shi-poo-poo million dollar *own no land* burbs of DC, remarried to his first wife. From what I understand, he's livid that I continued on with my dream after he auctioned my farm animals & put my domestics to sleep (in direct violation of the court order). Not having to deal with halitosis (sp) of the feet is just one of the many bonuses!

Leay, I don't live on a farm anymore (moving SOON! YIPPEEE) but when I moved here 4.5 years ago, the area had some rural parts...err, kinda. I have a male (I think) who comes around nightly around 10 (yeah, I stay up to see him! :). He used to come around at dusk but due to the development taking over the 600 acres of former soy field across the street, he comes by later. Saw him a few times during the day when it was quiet. It was so shocking I'd just stare in amazement at the beauty of him.
    You will still of course want to use caution...not only with foxes. Read up on rabies as it can be shocking. For instance dogs can shed the virus days before symptom occur. Not everyone who is exposed to rabies gets it. Rabies symtoms can take years to develop...yadda, yadda! Personally I worry more about home invasion...but that is just me when I'm chewing my cuticles. *LOL*

Best wishes all!

KAT

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Its common fox mother behavior to frequently move her litter. It is spring and it could be a mother fox. Follow her like VA above. It'll spook her. Daytime behavior as you describe is not common. If its a male something is up.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I would leave them alone,unless they are eating Chickens.They catch a lot of Mice.

big rockpile

8. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

9. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Hi gobug,
    Yeah, it's the daytime behaviour that has me worried. And if we go outside and see the fox, he doesn't run away like he's really scared. He just kind of jogs down the yard. He doesn't look sick though. I don't know if they appear sick if they have rabies or distemper???? I really hate to shoot it if it has babies.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Leay

PS Can anyone tell me how to reply so that I don't have the previous posters message appear? It makes for a long post when that's included.

10. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

I agree rockpile. This guy (or girl) doesn't have me bothered. Less mice is a GOOD thing! I just worry that he or she is hanging around the house in broad daylight. Now it's fighting with the outside cats. I don't think that's a healthy fox but then I know nothing about them.
    I guess I'll see how the next week goes and then decide what to do???
    Thanks for the reply.
    Leay

11. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've seen so many Foxes do just like this one,I don't believe there is anything wrong with it.It is probably finding easy food close and maybe more curious than anything.

I've let Coons in the House to eat long as the Dogs aren't around,mostly young ones.And sometimes Deer hang out close,got some Turkeys getting use to me.

big rockpile

13. Jeff Hathaway

Jeff Hathaway Active Member

I agree with rockpile!

Although foxes are generally secretive, some do get quite used to human surroundings. I've seen them up close around houses on several occasions.

If it is still looking healthy, rabies is unlikely to be an issue.

Jeff Hathaway

14. Daytime activity does not always mean rabies. In animals such as coons it would worry me to see one several days in daylight but not a fox. Fox are frequently active in the daylight hours. As one poster already stated the possibility of a mother or soon to be mother could be affecting behavior. Increasing hours of activity. Also this time of year is slim(on food) for many animals and any fox may need to hunt more. If the fox has a good looking pelt and no obvious injuries shown in its movement, I'd say it just likes your place:) They really are of no danger to humans so if you don't have small animals then just enjoy it!

15. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Go to the bottom of the page on the far left
    and there is a button that says ( Post Reply )

Have fun

bumpus