Fox and goat ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by comehomesoon, Aug 25, 2006.

1. comehomesoon

comehomesoon comehomesoon

Ok I saw a fox on my back acres, I only have 7 and its straight back and pasture so I can see but this little cute fox was walking through checking out the horses and I got thinking (as I lost a couple chickens last year) would they get my pygmy's? I wouldnt think so maybe a cyote but a fox? So I thought I would ask here just to make sure so I dont worry. Thanks guys

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I think your Pygmys will be safe. Foxes are about the size of a housecat and catch the same size prey as a cat. It's the tail that makes them look bigger. I have a fox that comes through my barnyard for eggs. My goats ignore him or chase him off.

3. comehomesoon

comehomesoon comehomesoon

Thank you it makes me rest alittle easier.....till I have chickens again. lol

4. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I wanted to ask about the size of foxes. We have a fox that is as big as my dog - I'd guess it to weigh around 25 - 30 lbs because it is so lean but it looks about 18 - 19 ". Am practically POSITIVE it is not a coyote. Everyone who has seen it, says it is a fox. It eats cats and small animals. Has shown no interest in the goats. Anyone know with certainty if this can/can't be a fox. BTW, it is red with a busy tail and runs in this weird way, like it is jumping up and down, with its tail up.

5. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fox. Not all foxes are tiny as a cat. Depends some on where you live. But I've seen foxes that size before too.

6. armeda

armeda Well-Known Member

The red foxes I've seen looked to be about 30 to 35 lbs. as well. Maybe the size of a large cocker spaniel.

Armeda