four stroke weed whacker?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WanderingOak, Aug 27, 2004.

1. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I was looking for a new string trimmer, when I noticed that the 'latest and greatest' idea for weed whackers is a four stroke motor. The vendors make all kinds of claims such as less noise and smog and more power. Has anybody out there used one? Any drawbacks, aside from the engine being more complex? I know 2 strokes don't have valves in the traditional sense, so the four stroke probably has timing gears, a camshaft and pushrods (or are they side valve, or overhead cam?). Probably almost as hard to rebuild as a motorcycle engine. Would accidentally adding 2 stroke oil to the gas cause any problems aside from smoking?

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I have a friend that bought a Stihl 4 stroke weed eater. I believe he said he still adds oil to the gas. I don't think they have all of the valve train you mentioned. He is very pleased with how smooth and quiet his operates and he also has 2 strokes.

3. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

I have one an like it. You do have to change the oil. For fuel I use straight gas with no oil in it. Bought it at low's for about 150

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I havent used one but i noticed them to.But I didnt like the extra wieght.And if i was going to get one id wait for them to work out the bugs in first few models first. ;)

I recently bought a 2stroke Still.Im now hooked :worship: Ill never spend less for a trimmer again! Whooping big difference.Especially if you do a lot of cutting.No more broke off string in the head or melted ends.The only reason to open the head is to refill with more string.Which also happens even less.Do your self a big favor and get a good brand name.Still/Husky/Makita?/Johnson Red. Still males a 4stroke version.But im not sure of the others.

Anybody want a pile of junk trimmers for parts.LOL Riobi/Homelight/Weedeater/Maculec :eek:

Happen trimming to ya!

5. papafarmer

papafarmer New Member

New to this site; it looks nice and helpful. Have had 2-stroke trimmers for years, but bought a 4-stroke Craftsman 2 years ago. Very good unit; powerful & well-made. Be sure to notice how the cutting line is wound so you can replace it properly when it runs out...(I still don't know if I'm refilling it right, but it works kind of..) Home Depot sells an accessory kit with blades, a cultivating head and spare fixed heavy line for about 20 bucks. Haven't used it yet, will let you know it it's worth the money....

6. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

I've had a four stroke Troy Built for about four years now, I like it a lot, it has a string trimmer and a metal brush blade. They pretty are easy to change, just put in some gas and change oil every year and you are set. I believe it is a little quiter or at least the noise is a deeper sound and not the whine of a two stroke.

7. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Keep the 2-stroke! If you dont like the smoke of a 2 stroke, get some opti-2 oil.