Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, my FIL gave me some Four O'Clock seeds. They grew beautifully, and the flowers were all rich, deep pink.

This spring, I bought a packet of Four O'Clock seeds. The packet stated that they would be mixed colors. I really liked that idea -- wanted a change from all pink!

Welllll.....they're all the same rich, deep pink!

Has anybody actually grown Four O'Clocks of different colors? Is dark pink sort of the "default" color? Is there some other garden variable that influences the flower color?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Maybe mislabeled seed. My 'mixed colors' are mainly yellow, and dark pink, with some solid colored and some mixed, spotted, striped, etc. Make horrible tubers underground that have to be pulled up like huge grisly turnips to get rid of them. Same thing with the talinum.

My friend has pale lavender four o'clocks in her yard, solid colored.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
4 O clocks!! One of the few flowers I like. Started in them about15 years ago ,The neighbors that go to Kansas gave me A handfull of seeds plus asked me to watch there house one summer. Thwe seeds were A bonus. The ones I had were All mixed. .Now I want to get some more again. The goats I had liked them more than I did.. At that time my hired help was NO help.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I have light pinks,fusia,yellow,white and combinations of those colors. I am saving seed. Pm.me your address and I can send you some. Also have lots of red and black mixed hollyhocks.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
tnokie said:
I have light pinks,fusia,yellow,white and combinations of those colors. I am saving seed. Pm.me your address and I can send you some. Also have lots of red and black mixed hollyhocks.
Just got the seeds yesterday-thanks sooo much! Could send you some blue indigo to try if you'd like...don't need to plant til frost.

Patty

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
i need some of those i used to love "popping" the seed thing open as a kid

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I have white ones and purple ones. They are planted right next to each other in a row about 12 feet long. The ones in the middle are now purple with white stripes. I saved some seeds from the white ones and planted them on the other side of the yard. I'm hoping to keep a few pure whites. It seems that every year their are less whites and more dark ones. I planted some yellow ones, but they didn't grow.

Interestingly, we dug up a few of the plants when we had to lay a new conduit a few years ago. Some of the root balls were the size of a football! I had no idea they were so huge. They can be cut up like a seed potato and replanted to spread them. They also grow from seed. I've moved a lot of seeds around the yard and have them growing in several spots now. The only ones that didn't grow were the yellow ones that I traded for.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Popping the seed thing open? Sounds more like touch-me-nots. I like those too. :)

Update -- a few more of my plants have bloomed, and I actually do have some that are mottled yellow and pink, and one that's light pink, so maybe there's hope yet.

I never got the underground tubers, maybe they're just not as hardy here? Mine just re-seed and re-grow each year as annuals. My FIL says they grow as perennials with the tubers for him, though. We'll see!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Edayna, I had them for most of my life right out back of the house because the roots were right next to the house foundations. They overwintered here with no problems, and it's not warm here! I lost them when things started getting to shady out back and they died out because of that, I guess. I was sorry to lose them. They have a lovely fragrance in the night.

Jennifer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts