Foundation Chewing, a HEE HAW question.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, May 6, 2006.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Tim, This is the worst case of comb chewing I have ever experinced.

[​IMG]

There were 3 frames in some what better condition, but chewed never the less. I'm not going to worry about it just yet, as I have seen them fill it all in when they finish drawing the comb out. This is from the Itialian packages I installed a couple weeks ago who had 6 framed of drawn comb to start with. They were drawing the one next to the empty foundation out even more so I rotated it next to a already drawn one.

I read here a post some said that all you really need is a narrow starter strip for them to draw perfect comb out on any way.

This is still a bit more than I normally see. I will admit I haven't done Itialian packages in a while so this maybe normal for them.

[​IMG]

:D Al

2. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

Alleyyoper-
    Not HEEHAW here...
    You probably already know this, but for those not familiar with this problem...
    you may be giving the bees more room than they need. Chewing up the wax foundation and using the wax where they can use it. If there is a nectar shortage the bees won’t produce wax form their wax glands so they will take if from somewhere in the hive that isn’t being used. If this is the case feed them 1:1 sugar syrup.

3. alleyyooper

All the packages, nucs & splits I do get syrup of 1:1 ratio if they have new foundation to draw out.
    Just6 never seen them do it this much before.

4. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Al,
    The Russian hive I have is the worst ive seen to do this. They will dwaw out 4 to 5 frames in the middle, and chew out the rest,and later draw it back out leaving to outer 2 frames on each side just partly drawed out. They did this way last year and since I add a supper this year the same thing. They are Retarted as all I know. My other Itlians hives dont do this.

5. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Al,
    Tell us what kind of camera you use, so we can make some great picture posts like yours.

6. alleyyooper

Tim try to rotate the undrawn comb into the center and the drawn stuff to the out side, :shrug: worth trying. I've did that with the SMR carnies with good luck.

Camera. :) Used a Kodak DX 3600 and loved it a lot. Only 2x zoom with it and I think 2 or 3 Mega Pix.

:flame: We up graded to a Kodak DX 6490 a couple of years a go because the 3600 did so well. The 6490 has 10 zoom and takes clear close ups. :nono: I will not recomment the 6490 to any body because of Kodaks easy share program. Our computer puked after it was installed. We were told after much money it was due to the drivers in the Kodak easy share program.
    Today we do not have easy share in the computer we have Card drivers to down load the pictures. We also use HP Image zone plus to down load any pictures that may get on the cameras internal memory when the card gets full.

If I bought a new camera today with the spec. of two years ago I would by the Fugi Film 7000.
    I havn't researched the cameras to day but I am sure there are some really good ones.
    :) Figure out the zoom you would like, the most pixels for the money and how much you can aford to spend.Then shop, we got the best deal on the 3600 at Sams Club the 6490 at Staples.