Found two year old LGD’s -will they work?

Discussion in 'Guard Animals' started by Avodah, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Avodah

Avodah Well-Known Member

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/d/livestock-guardian-dogs/6451440676.html

I really don’t have time to train a puppy. We have 15 ewes (who are all lambing right now ). We rotationally graze and will follow the sheep with pigs and then chickens. From what I read 2 LGDs is the best choice. We don’t have 100% perimeter fencing so they will be in the electric fence with the animals.

I’m not opposed to spending some time with them each day training but I just don’t want to put in the work of 8week old pups. Do you think these two would be a good choice for my needs? I am just not sure, and can’t find any clear information, on wether you are better off buying puppies and training yourself or buying older ones that are trained or half trained.

Thanks!

oceantoad likes this.
  2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Why are they for sale......?

aart, kalmara and RichNC like this.

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Avodah, every LGD is a gamble, even the puppies. Two year olds are in the last stage of their adolescents and, as so, are still testing limits. Were I in your shoes and near enough to them I would probably go over and spend the day with the owners watching those two dogs BEFORE I actually bought them. That day I would make sure I saw how they acted with the animals YOU are going to have them with; AND I'ld make sure I am comfortable with the way they both interact with me. Even then if I did decide to purchase them, I would not leave them with my particular animals without supervision until I was sure the way I saw them interact on the other place got carried over to the animals on my place.

Solar Geek, nehimama, aart and 2 others like this.
  4. Pyrpup2016

Pyrpup2016 Well-Known Member

What motdaugrnds said, plus, even if you do bring them home, don't leave them unattended with the lambing ewes this first season. Newborns and the afterbirths are a real test of even tested LGDs. Introduce them slowly and by next lambing they should be trustworthy. I've several times recommended the site "Bountiful Farm" for very detailed good training advice for the LGD.s Go to their Training Seminars, and you'll learn a lot about these wonderful dogs.

Solar Geek likes this.
  5. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

IMHO, Bad idea. Also, pass up any 2 year old Coon dogs that might be gun shy.
    IMHO, LGD use is very limited and in those rare situations only with intensive training, starting at 8 weeks.

mystang89, aart and hunter63 like this.
  6. mystang89

mystang89 Well-Known Member

I responded to the thread toy posted a question to but I agree with haypoint

7. Solar Geek

Solar Geek Well-Known Member

I looked at the craigslist ad but it said they were only 8 months old? Not 2 years. But maybe it was just the way you typed the "title" of the thread? Their real age may change some people's responses.