Found one of my does dead this morning

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by southrngardngal, Dec 8, 2005.

1. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I had a NZW that some of the children that I used to keep gave me about two years ago. She has had some trouble kindling. Only had two this fall and then had seven a few weeks ago and all of them died. She looked healthy and acted healthy. I kept a check on her as I do all my bunnies. Late yesterday afternoon DH and I fed and made sure they all had water. My "Ruby" seemed fine. Hopping around in her cage and standing up on her hind legs to be petted but this morning when I went out to feed and water she was dead in her cage. She had been eating really well and she was one of my better water drinkers. I feel really sad losing her as she was one of my favorites and one of my first. I don't know what happened to her. It could have been age since I don't really know how old she was.

Some people have told me that this is part of the life cycle. Animals sometimes die but it still hurts to lose one.

Jan

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I'm sorry! It does hurt to lose a favorite. (And it's always the favorite that something happens to, isn't it?)

NeHi Mama

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Oh My Gosh, I am so sorry! I will be praying for you to feel better, and that the rest of your bunnies are fine. Good Luck, bye.

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so sorry. Rabbits are considered old once they get past 5 years. It could have been age. Again, I'm sorry about your loss.

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Sorry to hear about Ruby. Yeah, she could have just been getting on in age, or maybe something didn't go right with her delivery...most rabbitries only keep breeding does about three years...but then some pets have been known to live 8 or 10 years. Again, sorry to hear about her.

6. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your concern. I haven't gotten used to her not being in her cage. As I said she was one of my first rabbits. I don't know how to tell the girls about her dying. They ask about her most everytime I see them. I know both the girls will be upset. Thank you again for letting me express my sadness. You all are the greatest. Your love for your animals help you to relate to us that lose one and the way we feel.

7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just tell them, let them cry, let them visit her grave and put flowers on it. Don't try to hide it from them. Kids can handle death better than we think. Our neighbor boy helped me bury "his" duck that died over the summer. He visited her grave and put flowers on it, then asked if he could pick out another duck. I said "sure" and he was ok after.

I still miss my little house buck that died in October. He was with us 4 years and I miss that little fuzzy head pushing into my hand for attention.