found loaded gun how do i unload?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Before you fuss at me, I have taken a gun safety and shooting class. I found several guns in my ex-husbands room and i can't for the life of me get one of them unloaded. I don' want to mess with it too much. i've kept it pointed away from me the whole time and not very close to my body. There is a tab that folds out off of the barrel. I folded it out, held the gun properly and used my middle and ring finger of my left hand to try to push the barrel open and slide the bullets out. But, it won't move. I pushed it pretty hard and no budging. So, I pushed the flag back into place and just put it away. I've looked online and can't find anything. But it's late and I"m tired. I'll try again tomorrow. It's a:

Excam Armi FLLi Tanfoglio Gardone V.T. Italy 22 mag Mod. TA 76

any advice?

2. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

With all due respect, take it outside,and fire it in the ground and pull the trigger a few more times to be safe. If you have to drive out of the city limits do the same (put it in the trunk of the car). If you can not do those things take it to a pawn shop, gunshop and let them know BEFORE you enter that you need help with a loaded pistol/rifle.
    Good luck,Columbia,SC.

3. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I can fire guns out here. But I was worried that if it was really old, it might mis-fire on me. It looks pretty old. I don't have a trunk (have a truck), but maybe I'll go into a pawn shop and just ask and if they can help, just take it in and take the risk of getting caught.

4. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you want to empty a gun you don't know, with a barrel you haven't checked, by firing it. I wouldn't recommend it.

You are doing the right thing by not messing with it while you are tired.

I don't know the gun you mentioned, but you may not be able to work the slide while the safety is on.

You could always drop by a gun store or range and I'm sure they'd be delighted to help you out.

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just call the local sheriff or police? Tell them you found it in the closet and want it unloaded. Ask them if they'll have one of their deputies stop by when he comes to your area.

Have a few cookies baked and a fresh pot of coffee on the stove-most of the local cops are great at helping in rural areas; even though it may take them a day to get out there for a non emergency. ;)
    At least that's been my experience.

Good Luck

6. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

KY Guest makes a good point. The local sherriff deputy is a good start. Or a neighbor, preferably one that doesn't like your ex-husband. If he is sympathetic to your ex, you may find yourself without the gun....a potential asset. Brings up another thought....what if the gun is not legal in your neck of the woods? Maybe a pawn shop is your best bet, especially if you want to dump it......

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sound advice, a Google search did me no good. Is this a rifle or pistol? Detachable magazine/clip? Hard to guess what you're dealing with, I've seen a bolt action rifle that had a fold out tab you folded out and pushed up and back to cycle the bolt and eject the cartridge.

8. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

With you being unfamiliar with the gun I'd call the local police dept & inquire. If you take it to a pawn shop & were to get stopped you may end up slapped with an illegal transport of a loaded gun, etc. I wouldn't attempt it myself not knowing the gun & wouldn't recommend you doing it either. If it were a model I was familiar with then I may be able to offer advice to dislodge the shell safely. It's not worth the risk for you to unload it & maybe it going off! JMHO

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

To me it sounds like your describing a revolver? Wondering if when you flip the flag open you can see the back of the bullet under it.The flag being on your end of the cylinder if it is.
    Loads like the old cowboy pistols one shell at the time into the cylinder?
    If so it should have a shell extractor (little spring loaded rod) built kinda off the left side.You push it back toward you and it pushes the shell out of the cylinder when the flag is open.Or you can just dump an unspent shell out of it by tipping the gun back.After you get that shell out,you have to half cock the hammer so you can turn the cylinder by hand to the next shell.Half cock= when you pull the hammer back you will here it click when its about half way back when you let off it will stay.The cylinder should spin freely then.Careful it shouldn't be able to fire from that position, but it might! I'd work on it outside just encase.Paying close attention to where its aimed the hole time of coarse.
    No idea if the cylinder comes out of that type pistol or not.

Anyone following me? Maybe give her a better description of how to work that gun? Or could it be a Black Powder pistol in 22.mag (I've never seen one,but it sounds even more like that in description)?

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

After my grandmother died I found a loaded (actually, I didn't know it was loaded... fortunately, I assumed it was because it turned out to be) gun tucked in the back of a closet. I don't think she even knew it was there, it was behind heating ductwork (yes, imagine!). I called the police and told them I was coming down with it in the back of the car. Since most police tend to react badly to people walking into the station waving a gun I went in without it and they came out to empty it.

But my local gun shop would have been happy to provide the same service. Have you tried there?

11. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

What you do if you find a firearm your not famillar with is call some who is familar with it.
    Firing a "found" gun is NOT a good option. Call the police let them disarm it. DONT transport it, let them come to you.

12. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

Do not let law enforcement take it. I have a friend that his ex called the police in the same situation and they told her she could not have the guns and took them. Neither party ever got them back. It is still yours and worth some money.

13. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

please post pictures. Left an right side. Can't find this model anywhere.

14. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

is this similar?

[​IMG]

Its a gussied up TA-76

15. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

spray it with some WD40 or some gun oil and put it in a secure place until you can have a friend or neighbor who can show you how it works. You can then keep it or sell. If you have children you need to get a trigger lock or small safe. If its a semi automatic it probably has at least 3 switches on it a safety, a magizine release and a slide release. Just remember if the magizine(clip) is still in the handle and you pull the top slide back to eject a round from the chamber it will load another bullet when you release it. If you dont feel comfortable checking it, let someone you trust show you.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I'm thinking quntmphscs is sorry she even asked.

Marlene

17. 21stCentSteader

21stCentSteader Member

The gal asked for help and people are trying to help her out. If you don't like people expressing their opinions on this thread there is no need to be catty about it.

If she can confirm what it looks like we all can give her the correct advice on how to unload it.

18. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

I don't think she was being "catty" but merely stating that there are so many differing do's and don'ts that she may be sorry she asked .........sheesh people that wear their feelings on their shirt sleeve

19. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Do not call the police.

If its your ex husbands gun.
    Maybe you should give it back to him
    Just maybe.