Found in the forest

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Oct 10, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Been hunting around for ideas to scrounge the forest for potential income. I have found mushrooms and wild edibles, pine cones.

Does anyone have stuff they gather from the wild for income or self sufficiency?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I make jam and jelly from things I find in the wild...kudzu, wild rose hips, persimmons, dewberries, etc. This year was a "trial and error" year and next year I plan to do it for profit.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Haven't tried to sell any, but I have gathered pine tar from damaged pinyon trees to make salve and soap.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Odd as it may seem, people in cities do not have access to bundles of 'craft sticks'. Used bird nests sell on ebay, as does smooth stream stones.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If you can find a use for pine cones, probably the larger ones in christmas wreaths with balsam or cedar boughs you also might find. I see these selling in the farmer's market or craft shows.

I'de be careful to offer wild mushrooms for sale, unless you absolutely are sure what are the ones offered. I had relative selling Morels for a good price in spring where they found many in different years. Walnuts also. Though if you find enough hazelnuts to offer would be more a novelty and might depend on packaging and so on to market them as a wild treat.

Blueberries in the northland is probably the best small 'commercial' thing to do in July and early August. Picking and selling these has a market without need of processing much. Rose hips might be worth checking into harvesting if you have enough wild roses growing around. Rose hip tea is excellent and full of vitamin C for a natural source.

You might also find wild currants, plums, crabapples, raspberries....all make excellent wild fruit to process into a variety of jam and jelly type products. Wild strawberries in the early summer are nagging to pick, and usually too busy in the garden to bother with, but they are a possibility?

Rich

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) jackiec, do you have some of the wonderful Chanterelles there? I am guessing that you know what you are doing with identification and know the dangers there...I am asking as in many places the competition is really tough and here at least, the people who gather mushrooms carry guns. Kinda like the " Ladybug Wars" in the central valleys of California.

So, be careful while gathering. Hopefully you are on your own property while doing this or in a area that is not well known.

Have fun, sounds delicious! LQ

7. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

The used birds nest caught my attention. I did a search and no actual birds nest came up. What category would they be in exactly?

8. Little Quacker in OR

:) Birds Nests? Hmmmm. I wonder if they de louse them first? Yuk! LOL Of course there are places where they make soup from them. I am curious about this too. Decor?

LQ

9. RobinAnn

RobinAnn Well-Known Member

I had a friend try to sell a used bird nest on eBay because of the ring found in the nest. She got a not-so-friendly e-mail from an agent of the Fish and Wildlife Service referencing a violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty
    Act 16 United States Code 703-711 . So... if you are going to offer nests, be careful.

10. OD

OD Well-Known Member

This isn't a "forest item", but one year we raised 2 acres of field corn. That fall, after we had pulled all the corn off the stalks, my SIL & I cut 2 truckloads of stalks & bundled them up, tied with hay strings, 5-7 in a bundle & sold them for Halloween & Thanksgiving decorations. First, we took them to the local farmers' market in town & sold quite a few. Then we took them to several produce stands, some garden centers, 2 feed stores even bought some. We ended up splitting over $100 for a few hours work & a little driving around. If we had gone to a larger town, I think we could have done even better.

11. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My place has many greens for flower arranging - salal, huckleberry, ferns, etc. Also fir and cedar boughs and many small fir and cedar seedling trees. Salal has quite a large market for florists, so much so that there are salal "rustlers". I have to get to all of the blueberries and huckle berries before my peacocks get them. :)

12. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

See if you can find a copy of "How to get Out Of The Rat Race and Live on $10 a Year" by George Herter. Hundreds of pages of suggestions just like those above. alotofbooks.com should have a copy I just sold them mine!

13. Little Quacker in OR

:) Robinann, what do you mean about a "ring" found in the birds nest and then the inclusion of the F&W? I got lost there somewhere. Thanks...LQ

14. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I made some good money early this spring picking morels...later in the season the prices really dropped...you could get a metal detector and go searching parks and backyards for hidden jewels :)

15. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

bump:) still wondering about that birds nest.

16. RobinAnn

Sorry for the weird allusion.

The woman who found the nest is a jewelry maker going through some hard times. She was scuffing through the woods behind her house and found this non-descript nest laying on the ground. She picked it up to look at it, and woven in the nest material was a very old gold ring.

Thinking it would make a good eBay story (and maybe have a big ending price) my friend told the story on her auction (I'm sure with some embellishment). Don't know how the auction would have ended, but she closed it after a conversation with the Fish and Game guy.

17. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

That's rediculous.

18. Little Quacker in OR

ME TOO! LOL :p LQ

19. RobinAnn

I answered the ring question, I hope.

As for the Dept. of Fish and Game, it was really a point of huge discussion on my eBay group at the time. None of us could quite believe it. The woman with the auction called the Fish and Game guy and he was dead serious about her closing her auction or she would be subject to a fine and/or jail time.

Here is an excerpt of our long discussions of the issue:

Very odd situation, don't you think?

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Meanwhile someone's killing bald eagles I'm sure.