found buckets on my land and...don't feel safe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Nov 2, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Today I was out tipping the fir trees for Wreaths and found buckets with holds in them and some wackey plants. I also found where someone has been tipping my fir trees, along with about 300 lbs of tips. The wakky tobacco I don't want on my land, the tipping I would alowe if only they had asked frist. I let people hunt here and I know the 4 or 5 that do, but yesterday I had someone just shooting for over an hour and one of the buillets wised by my head. I ask around today and no -one knew who was at my place. I don't have a man here and for the frist time I don't feel safe in my own woods. What do I do?

i

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

When I hear someone shooting on my property, I start shooting back. That has always convinced them to leave in the past. At random times, day and night, I make it a practice to fire my shotgun. You need to work on your reputation.

Landowners that are quick to grab a gun are usually left alone.

3. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

In case you don't have a gun, I suggest you notify your local law enforcement of the trespassing. Be sure to get some of those Posted signs and put them up on the borders of your land. If your poperty is fenced be sure they are kept up. Do you have a dog? If not maybe you need to get one. I am home alone all day and last year my husband told a guy he could hunt on our property and he never told me. Needless to say I was very upset to see a man with a gun while I was out walking on my own property. What ever you do don't advertise to strangers that you are living alone . Telling a Police man is another matter.
    Stay safe!
    Linda

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Sue, contact your local game warden and tell him what you wrote and show him the buckets. Then, leave it up to him.
    Good luck.

5. sue currin

I don't have a gun now. Had it taken out of my truck last week while I was parked on my land getting wood. Someone just lifted it from my truck and walked off. I do have dogs, they bark but I still haven't found the ones that are here. The law is useless here, it takes about a day for them to respond, My neighbores have been good though. I just think it my be one of them

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't understand. You say your neighbors are good, but you also think they may be the ones to put illegal plants on your property, trespass and steal a gun out of your truck???

You need to contact the authorties...any and all authorities!

7. sue currin

didn't say that right, I think it may be one neighbore that has family all around me. They protact him and cover for him. Also there is a guy from out of town that has moved back,that maybe the one. I just don't know what to adfend anyone.

8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

What I would do is Stop all hunting ASAP on the property. The ones I gave permission to--------I would tell them that I had a Problem here and was going to stop All Hunting untill I got it under control, then if/or when I got it straighten out------If I decide to allow any hunting again I will call them. Then I would be ready if I heard any shooting I would get into my Truck and check it out and ask any trespassers to leave, Put up alot of sign's. If you ever allow anymore hunting on your place, do it where whom ever is hunting notifies you a day ahead-------If they can't do that-----they can't hunt--------that way you will know when they are there. Good Luck!!!!! Randy

9. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

well, i would be worried too...thats too much going wrong in too short of a time frame. being parnoid as i am..i would equate all of those occurances as being related.

the weed has it own set of problems....on both ends....on the lawless side that you have to be very carefull of. but also on the side of the law..there has been more than one case of farm seizure from an innocent owner because he was suspect of being the owner of the weed on his property. . already, if you have not reported it, you are in some hot water.

if i know you, (and i think i do) you try to make friends with everyone,,,some of those you meet WILL be evil...you might not reconsize it though. I'm going to bet that the weed belongs to someone you know. i'm going to bet the firearm is in the hands of someone you know. and although i have no idea what tipping is,,,i'm going to bet that its someone you know. my first priority would be to rearm. don't know the law in you area...but you are going to have to do something about the weed.

10. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I'd spray a little round up in each bucket. As for the tresspassing make sure your wearing your gun at all times when not in the house. I've found that's what I have to do here. I'm basicaly by myself as well because both my parents are disabled so I'm the only one to go check on things. I also try and have the dogs with me. They can sense things before you can sometimes.

11. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Call the sheriff, call the sheriff and call the sheriff.
    Plants on your property are YOUR problem and you will do the time if someone else reports it.
    Tana Mc

12. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

oh yeah,,,i agree with what Fire-Man posted,,,i think that would be a reasonable reaction, and it may get you some help or atleast some information. even if it doesn't, you will have to do it if you want to regain control of your land.

13. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Sue! Call the state police. The sherrif is usally too friendly with the people there. They are elected.

14. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

OK - this may be another route, but what about the DEA? (slipping on flame-proof girdle). Boxwoods is right about local police sometimes being too friendly with the usual suspects.

15. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

get some odd ball animals, jersey bull comes to mind, no one will come arround then but then you can't either,,, but you would be suprised of the people who are scared of llamas or donkeys and such.....

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

And get a BIG LOUD dog!

And definitely contact authorities. These neighbors you don't want to offend are putting you in danger and obviously have no respect for you or your property AT ALL.

I'd mention in passing to any and all neighbors what you'd discovered on your property and that you weren't going to tolerate it. Destroy the plants, put up signs and let the word get out. They'll go elsewhere before they'll cause you (and themselves) problems...especially if word gets out that the authorities are watching your place.

17. hunter92

hunter92 Active Member

Get a cheap 12 gauge shotgun and a few dogs that are decent size. Have the dogs outside around the house and keep your gun next to your bed in case anything happens at night. As far as the plants I would,like most said, contact the state police ASAP. Could be a frame job. So contact authorities ASAP. And if anyone shoots at you take cover and shoot back in their general direction. hunter92 :nerd:

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

yes call the sharrif and let them know smoen is gurrilla farming on your land before someone finds them and reports YOU.

now as for the plants... they are in 5 gal buckets? in maine?? this time of yr?

how big are the plants? are they budded out?

first off, planted in 5 gal buckets thats the mark of an amature, dangerous pros dont plant in buckets they plant directly in the soil.

the real telltale is how big and how developed the plants are... that will tell how long they have been there.

the sight of sherrifs swarming all over will make the grower run and not come back. so dont worry to much.

make certain the athorities know its a tresspassers grow, before a neighbor finds them and ruins your day.

how many buckets? how big are the plants?
    I cant imagine anyone growing this time of yr...in maine.
    bbrrrrr.

19. sue currin

I called the police right at sundown, while I was in the shed pulling Porquinie quiles out of my dog, buckshot tore the thing, but the law said they could do nothing because it was still daylight, and hunters had rights. Told me to call back if it happened after dark.

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

dont let people hunt on your land.. they will drive the peoples wildlife into extinction.

lol