Found another treasure chest. (book)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., May 6, 2005.

1. This book is called STOCKING UP: How to Preserve the Foods You Grow Naturally. by the editors of Organic Gardening and Farming.

I actually bought this book a couple of months ago at a flea market for $2.00 but I am just now getting around to reading some of it. This book tells you several different ways to store anything you raise on the homestead. All your garden vegetables, to meats and eggs, milk and nuts. Has lots of recipes in it for such stuff as ice cream, cheeses, sausage, butter and for many other foods you grow. This book has over 500 pages in it with all kinds of Tables for measurements to vitamins to storage life. If your serious about homesteading then this book should be in your private library.

Example: Storing eggs in freezer.

Add 1 tablespoon of salt or honey to each cup of whole eggs. Mix the eggs up and pour 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each seperate compartment of the ice trays and freeze. Each compartment will equal 1 egg. After frozen empty ice tray into freezer bags for storage.

The salt or honey is to keep the egg yolk stabelized to avoid pastey appearence. The book also tells you how to store the egg whites or the yolks seperately.

This is one of the best books I have come across for the homestead.

2. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member

The book has been revised, and is stocking up III. A great book, and I did have a copy of it until some clepto helped herself. lol oh well! I do have a copy of stocking up I, plus quite a few others just like it. A lot of knowledge from when things couldn't be frozen or canned.
    Preserving the fruits of the earth
    preserving summer's bounty
    the complete book of home preserving
    putting food by

all very good books!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Another good one is Nancy Bubal's book on Root Cellars.

4. Yes Cyngbald that is a good book too. That book taught me that I can use old chest freezers for a cellar. Since reading that book I have collected a huge Ice freezer, like you see in front of convenient stores for selling ice, and a chest freezer. I hope to have them both buried by mid to late summer to start using. One is going to be for fruits, and the other is for vegetables.

5. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

R.h,
    Did it say how long you can keep in the freezer after you've done this process with salt or honey? Tia

6. Tia, the book said to use only fresh gathered eggs and it doesn't matter if the are fertilized or not. They will keep up to 6 months in the freezer if prepared properly.