Fostering

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kell, Nov 4, 2004.

1. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Two of my does are due on Sunday and one has snuffles. I was wondering if I could give the babies from the mom with snuffles to the mom without it before she has her own babies. Would she except the babies even if she hasn't had hers yet? Do I have to wait until she has hers? If I do, how do I disinfect them so they don't get snuffles?

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Isolate the doe with snuffles. Let her kindle and after the litte is raised cull her and the kits. Do not try to foster kits to another doe unless you want to risk the rest of your herd.

Also FYI a doe comes into milk afeter they kindle so you could not put kits in a bred does box and expect them to nurse. They would not have milk yet.

3. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Is it possible for me to take the kits away from their mom and hand feed them? After a while I'd be able to tell if they have snuffles or not and either give them to the healthy doe if they don't or give them back to the sick doe if they do.

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Never had luck hand feeding. And you wouldn't be able to tell after a while. Some don't show up for a long, long time. I would agree, cull. Unfortunately. I know this seems like a waste, but believe me, that is the only way to keep your herd healthy. Also, keep the ammonia level down in the barn, alot of times snuffles is really brought out in there. You shouldn't really smell it at all in there.