Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, she basicaly came up to me at the local store and with the big brown eyes asked me to help her find a new home. I've had alot of different breed of dogs and know that each one has its pros and cons. Beside what I have found on the internet; I wanted to find out what other pit owners have to say as I try to find CC (Charity case) a new home.
She is very obedient; comes when called, sits, walks on leash. Is good at getting out of dog kennel. Has played well with my other dogs (pomeranian, german shepard, heeler, and border collie) If the mood strikes her, she will chase after whatever critter is walking by (chicken, duck, cat, etc). She has NOT attacked any of them. If caught in the act of chasing; will immediately come to me when I call her.
She is very skinny from being a stray for however long she has been roaming. Suggestions on getting wieght on her? I'll be getting with my vet to see if they will do a discount rabies shot and spay so she will be ready to go to a new home.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow. For a breed that generally has high prey drive and (due to poor breeding) can be dog aggressive you found yourself a gem! I don't own any pits, but I do like them. Biggest problem placing one I would think would be the stigma against them.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Pits are great dogs! We got our first when she was abandoned as a puppy at a rental home we owned. Have owned two now and yes they will run and play with the livestock but don't hurt them. This morning a three week old piglet and Mack were chasing each other around the pasture. You will probably need to contact a local bully breed rescue. They will take pits and find them good homes. We are still running into people that are afraid of them just for the breed they are. That's okay with me. I don't want strangers getting out of their car here anyway.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the local rescue groups, even ones that only do pit bulls. They are overcrowded and can't take her. I may be stuck with her for awhile...
What kind of kennels do you keep them in when you aren't around? I have one of the tall chain link ones and she manages to squeeze through any gap on the bottom edge where the fence meet the metal pipe. I had put straw bales around the edges but she managed to push them aside and then crawl under the fence! Some of the websites for rescue groups say it is best to keep them inside, and in one of those wire dog crates when you're not home, but that seems too small an area (in my opinion of doggy comfort) to confine her in.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Pits are people dogs. Inside is definitely better for them. They want to be where people are, even if you're not home. Get her a big plastic crate (feels more secure to the dog than wire and they are safer) and get a heavy-duty Kong toy. Only give her the toy (stuffed with canned food) when you want her to go in the crate. She'll spend most of the time she's not with you napping. You might as well let her nap in the house where she's happy.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
We had to keep her in a ten foot high kennel with a solid top on it. She could jump that high and would squeeze through any cracks, jump on top of the building and then jump down. She could stay inside only she ate all shoes, cords, belts and baseball gloves. STILL THEY ARE GREAT DOGS! Wish you were closer I might consider taking her.

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
They are definitely people dogs and love to be with people and generally, of all the ones we've owned, they really do not like to be cold or wet and prefer being in the house.
We have a male right now that when we're gone, we just leave him loose in the house. He neither potties in the house nor chews anything up. He is a VERY trustworthy dog and is my baby. Our female pup is not house broke yet and chews on everything and when we leave, we lock her in a large dog crate. We've always used crates for ours when we're not home until they can be trusted not to destroy the house.
I don't like to leave my Pits outdoors when we're not home as I'm always worried someone will do something to them or steal them. So, I always keep them in the house when not around.
Ours will sometimes chase chickens or other critters, but have never hurt them and all of ours are wonderful with other dogs whether strange or other wise, but they have been taught to be so.
When you do find a potential home, please check it out carefully. You'll get a whole lot of bad before you get a good. It's just a breed that seems to attract the wrong kind of people. But you might get so attached to her that you won't want to give her up. ;)
They're very smart dogs and love to please and are generally fairly easy to train. Not as easy as some, but a whole lot easier than others. We've had the hardest time teaching them to leave cats alone.
Other than that, it sounds like she's a sweetie and most of your work has been done for you. :) You shouldn't have any trouble with her. They're a low maintenance dog with very few health problems and are sort of a wash and wear breed. :)

Better be careful. You may just fall in love with them. ;)

If you need any help, we've had quite a few Pit Bulls over the years. They are my breed and I love them to death!!

·
Married, not dead!
2,703 Posts
She sounds like a gem, indeed! Any idea how old she is? Any dog that will stop in mid-chase and come back to you is as good a dog as you could ask for. Please post some pictures!

Pits can be escape artists, but usually all they want to do is be near you. My SIL has a pit that can open sliding glass doors, apparently using her nose like a suction cup. So while her owners are at work, she opens the sliding glass door and goes out and sits by the front door, waiting for them to come home. :confused:

I fostered a pit bull for a few months, she was absolutely the sweetest, most lovable dog I've ever had. She was, however, a chicken killer. I did get her to the point where she wouldn't go after them right in front of me, but boy she thought they were the best dog toys EVER. But she was an absolute doll. If it weren't for her taste for chicken, I'd probably still have her, but she was adopted out to a great home.

·
Registered
473 Posts
They are very smart and very sensitive. I don't think they have ahigh prey drive, the breeds that were used to develop them were livesotck guardian, etc. I have one crossed with a malamute so she has the prey drive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We have a Boxer/Pit mix and she loves to chase the cats, now she hasn't done anything to them and has plenty of oppertunity. She just wants to play chase. She will steal a chicken egg if she can find one. I guess the only thing I don't like about her is that she is a poo conosuer. Chicken, cat, goat, horse, cow what ever. She never seems to pass a pile and not at least know what it tastes like. A dream with kids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts