Forum Rant..Private Messages....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Little Quacker in OR, May 7, 2005.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

What are you doing about yours guys? I can't believe that this place can't even send us a message when we receive a PM!

I just posted this on the Poultry Forum after finding out that I had a bunch of PM's that I never knew were there. So I won't repeat myself too much but it's really lame!

The 21st century is here and this forum can't figure that out? :no:

Yeah, I'm upset!

LQ

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Little Quaker I just don't understand the basis for your problem.

Everytime I log on I can look up where it says WELCOME and see how many private messages I have waiting. Maybe you need to set up your user CP differently?

Angie

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

There's a link for Private Messages at the top of every page. It tells you how many messages are read and unread. A quick glance will tell you if you have new messages.

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Sonja, this is a feature that you have to enable. Go into your user profile, then click options and scroll down through the options to find the one to check if you want e-mail sent to you when there is a pm.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

The feature where you get e-mails when a PM appears is not functioning. The last time it was turned on Chuck (the administrator) was getting all of them and no one else was receiving any.

MeanDean the techno admin has a new job that he started a few months ago, and is in a different state now and does not have as much time as he use to to fight with programming.

In the admin forum at the bottomof the page, there is at least one or more threads about this problem.

Since it's a free site and everything else is chugging along decently, there has not been a great push to have it repaired....

More info in those threads in ADMIN.

Angie

6. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

I don't ever use the pm feature and don't like getting them. If I want to contact someone online I email them, works almost everytime.

Kurt

7. Little Quacker in OR

:) Thanks for the tips gang and I'll see if I can get my trifocals to working and figure this out. This place is goint to pot!

thanks again....LQ

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Is it so hard to click the private messages link once a day? :confused:

I don't understand the problem, perhaps you want Chuck to make it so someone reads them to us out loud?

9. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Who brought the cheese to go with this whine?? :no:

Why would someone who visits frequently, insinuates that they're self sufficient and in so many areas an experienced homesteader; still complain time after time about how bad the site is? :rolleyes:
    I haven't seen any compliments or positive comments about the folks who keep this dang thing running-might be time to count your free blessings instead of running it down continually! :grump:

I mean if I visit a restaurant and the food or service isn't to my liking, I give it one more try and then if I'm still unsatisfied I never return!
    As far as I know, that's an option here too! ;)

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't understand the problem: I see your name here a lot (& enjoy your messages by the way), I would guess you visit often. Simpley look in the upper right area of the main pages when you are logged on, & it tells you exactly how many new PM's are waiting for you....... In fact, I can see right now where it says I have none.

Quote:

Welcome, rambler. You last visited: Today at 08:56 AM
    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 33.

Unquote.

Can't get much simpler than that, can it???? I would not _want_ my email address involved, with all the spam out there these days. The point of PM is to avoid contaminating your email address, leaving it out in the open. Now, _that_ would be the bad thing.

Why the rant? While vBulliten software is just horrid aweful stuff & incompatable & difficult to use, Chuck & the gang sure work hard to let it work most of the time with 75% of the computers out there - and that's pretty good for such an aweful base program.

--->Paul

11. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Goodness, does anybody try and use their main private email to post publically or give to a stranger? I sure dont. Thats why there are all these free email accounts available out there. Need to post an email address, just use one of these and toss it if large scale spamming occurs.

PMing on these boards is very limited at best and rather a pain.

12. Little Quacker in OR

:) Thanks for the tips. As I was saying over on the poultry forum, I have to laugh at myself as the first time I ever posted on a waterfowl forum I was complaining about not being able to see all of a message. Everytime I'd click on a post I could only see part of it! Well, I thought this was silly and asked them why? A nice patient person there taught me how to "Scoll" down! :haha: :haha: So, I'm just really learning about these magic machines and appreciate any tips that I get.

Also a buddy told me how to "enable" my page so I could see the stuff that's up there. I screwed everything up when I got totally weird trying to clean out cookies and all that. I just hate 'puter maintainence! Grrrrrrr. How about a computer that takes care of all of that itself like the automatic defrosters on our freezers? Is that too much to ask? :haha:

I can only go by what the other forums do that I post on and then what this one does NOT do. Every other forum that I attend lets me know when there is a post that interests me and when there is a private message waiting..every one except this one. They have spell check too. Does this one have that and I haven't found it yet?

I'll just have to get used to it. It's like driving a junker after being in the Lexus! LOL It's really awful how lazy I can get when spoiled!

Thanks again for the help and tips.

LQ

13. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

When I put my money where my mouth is, LOL - maybe I will have the right to gripe!
    BUT! I can easily say this forum works fine by me!
    I've learned quite a bit about all sorts of subjects, and exercised my brain and my backbone. That's pretty good!
    Thanks Chuck, et al for keeping this place up and running.

14. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

shygal,
    pms are great when they work but are a pain when not working. thanks everyone for making the homesteading forum so wonderful.
    tnborn

15. CurrentWave

CurrentWave ~ Country Dreaming ~

Adding my two cents -

First off I belong to several forms (all except this one being computer programming related) and none of them charge $ and they ALL work as far as - EMAILING me so I know when someone has replied to a thread I have started or posted on, AND EMAILING me when I have a PM. This is one of the most important form features if not the most important, because it keeps me plugged into the forum and keeps information flowing in a timely manner.

This is the only forum I have visited or joined in over 7 years that doesn't 'work', and that is saying a lot. And YES it is a lot of trouble to log-in and check my PM's and all the threads I am a part of or interested in - I only want to know if a thread has had an addition, but I have to repeatedly check and check wasting a lot of time.

It is not my intention to start a fire storm here :) or be picky, I am not a nit-picky person, however the whole point of a form is to be 'interactive' and when the email notification function is broken like it is on this form the interaction between us individuals and the forum body as a whole is being hampered.

Lastly (and I'll stop) A forum shouldn't ride on the technical back of one or a couple of people - they are a lot of work. But it seems to me that there should be some help for this situation out in the Internet community at large - A solution should be the goal of everyone. And I for one don't feel it is out-of-line or 'griping' to want this most excellent forum to function completely....

If Admin would like some assist in this area just let me know (use my real email, don't reply to this thread as I won't know) and I will search the technical places I know of for some answers.

16. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I look at things 180 degrees differently. And diversity is a good thing, so as you say, no argument or any type of war or anything. :) :) Just from my viewpoint:

Someone like you who does not participate in the forums, but sits around waiting to get private email really is _not_ participating in the discussion group. You are, by choice, being _not_ interactive with the rest of the group with your way of using this forum.

If everyone did as you do, there would be no one posting any help on any topic - just a bunch of questions with folks waiting to get email replies.

I personally much prefer discussion forums that do not have an email or PM type of feature (the other 3 I frequent do not or at most allow one to add an email address but few do), where all the questions and discussion truely are 'interactive' and allow everyone to share in the questions and answers. I have always viewed PM's as going behind the back of the collective group - nice if you want to discuss a private thing, but really detracting from a discussion of general discussion is taken privately.

I do not understand that you want 'interactive' discussions but the most prized feature of a discussion forum is the one feature that totally removes group interaction.... That seems very counter intuative to me.

Again, just my view of the situation, I don't mean anything by it and respect that we just view this differently, no problems. Hope you come across my comments someday, I would not care to email you, don't know yours anyhow, & appearently PM to you is a waste of time at this point. :)

--->Paul

17. CurrentWave

CurrentWave ~ Country Dreaming ~

For trying to stay neutral and not start a fire-storm you sure throw BIG rocks! And you jump to wrong conclusions way to quickly.

I'm glad you don't mind technology that doesn't work, but since technology is my job, I do. Like you say 'just different points of view'.
    But then you go to far ….

FYI - I have two handicapped children, my son is severely handicapped. I have to home school my daughter and have my son home with me most of the day too. Not to mention I work full time and run the house, cook and clean, do all yard work. Just finished building a chicken coop (with the wonderful info on this forum), and the list goes on and on ...

I find it interesting that you begrudge me the conveyance of being notified when someone posts to a thread I am following or have started. You must feel that I should hang around here like a teenager with no life, checking and rechecking threads. You word things as though I’m acting like a queen – thinking I’m far better than everyone else who checks their threads. You really are tripping.

It is absolutely no dist on the wonderful people here who do check in daily, and/or contribute on a regular basis - just because I cannot, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love to have that life. So I’ve committed a crime because I would like this specific forum feature to work. Yes, Paul - I want something to work besides me! I've got all I can do and then some.

Its interesting to me how to twist my wanting the forum email notification to work into something evil, as though you or others would have to personally take care of my demands by emailing me yourself. I’m taking about an automated system, which is part of the forum software, which frees people up. But you make it sound like I’m asking for special treatment.

Everyone else puts up with the email notification not working so I should keep my mouth shut – right Paul? (Oops- I thought this was an open forum not a private click), OR be labeled as an outsider – by Paul.

– Just my point of view (that your words are attacking and unfair), I guess it’s different than yours….

P.S. Hope you check all your posts to read my reply.

18. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Set your forum options to email you when you have a PM. I dont get many PM, but when I do I get email that they are waiting.

19. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Check your User CP once a day, or more, and it links to threads you added to.

Not quite as good as e-mail, but it's free inside every box.

My e-mail notification works. Not sure why.

20. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ah yes, I love when a thread resurfaces after a 3 month hiatus... sort of reminds me of that thread... er verse in the bible... modified of course...

One year is as a thousand years in a forum and one thousand years is as a day.

:D